Onion Omega2 and LEDE as DNS Updater

I need an always on low power computer to attach to a remote network to undertake two roles:-

1. Be able to run a DNS Updater client for NO-IP.org
  2. Ideally provide a remote desktop access to be able to wake up and administer three windows 10 PCs.

The Former is the most important as the latter I can do just by configuring Windows Remote desktop through the routers NAT. (Yes I know this is a security risk but they are internet cafe PCs so there is no data on any of the systems and they are locked down by software that restores the image on reboot)

My question is really directed to Onion but I am not really getting a lot of response from their forum. However I believe the Omega2 runs LEDE or a slightly modified version??

I have read on the Wiki that LEDE has built in support for DDNS as a client and just need to download some extra scripts for No-IP.org. Is there any tutorial on how to set this up please?

Once set up can the LEDE pc (Omega2) be connect directly to the Lan side of the router (using wireless in the case of the Omega2) and communicate to No-ip.org through the router or does this device have to be attached to the DMZ?

Normally DUC software (No-IP.orgs' DNS update client) sits on a LAN PC but I suspect DDNS support may work differently as the client is normally part of the router operating system??
Sorry to ask so many questions but I am finding it hard to get my head around the concept
Regards
Fozzie

https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/ddns.client

Thanks TMOMAS you have correctly directed me to the available online tutorial but that doesn't answer my overall question. I have read these instructions but they appear to be for LEDE when running as an OS for a router.

I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that when installed on Omega2 LEDE runs as a desktop with Gui. In this case is DDNS available as an application or only a service? Also can the device be connected to the Lan or does it need to be connected to the DMZ.
I don't want to keep buying devices (even if as cheap as the Omega2) only to find they want do what I need.
Thanks again for responding
Fozzie

Onion Omega2 is running LEDE as per their Introductory documentation.

So if you follow @tmomas proposed tutorial, you will end up having a service running in the background that updates your dynamic IP. This guide instruct you on how to install packages that extend the functionalities of LEDE.

If you were able to install the luci-app-ddns on your Onion, it would give you a "GUI" extension access to manage that background service. Take a peek at the GUI interface here, and you'll see that it differs from the Console view of the Onion.

But since your Onion doesn't run Luci, you wont be able to manage it using LEDE's standard GUI package. You'll have to rely on uci commands instead and only install the service part of the scripts using opkg command.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, there are good chances that you will need to manually download the package and install it yourself as the package source for opkg installation might not be LEDE's official (simplified: simply running opkg install ddns-scripts will result in a package not found error).

Thank you DjiPi thats really helpful. I will follow up your leads. I do not yet have an Omega2 as I wanted to ascertain it would do what I wanted first otherwise I would buy a Raspberry Pi Zero.
Thanks Again
Fozzie

I just wanted to mention that I do not own nor do I know how the Onion works, this is an educated guess only. If the package source is standard and you are comfortable managing DDNS using the CLI, maybe then it suits you.

AFAIK, for the second part of your inquiry, you can gradually increase the security level starting at least at restricting IP which can connect to your open RDP ports, port knocking, ssh poor man vpn or full featured vpn.

@FozzieBear Finally, if it's supported you could just install vanilla LEDE on it and not Onion's own, this way you won't get their special interface, but will have Luci.