ODROID-H2+ - anyone out there tried it yet?

The upgrade to the H2 looks pretty solid, interesting board with two 2.5 Gbit NIC at a decent price. Hope the change in CPU will give stable supply.

Anyone tried it yet with OpenWRT to see raw throughput and/or SQM throughput?

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2plus/

1 Like

This device doesn't seem to be supported by OpenWrt.

Apparently not, Intel, what can you say.

Edit: although this bit adds an element of interest for this device in the OpenWrt context.

1 Like

i am a bit dim, why wouldn't it be supported as a generic x86 device?

1 Like

It is, one set of numbers here are from an H2.

1 Like

The 2.5 Gbit 4 NIC switch is really interesting. It is an x86 device - only dilemma with OpenWRT support seems to be manually loading the drivers for the NIC... doesn’t seem like a big hurdle.

1 Like

How far is progress on the RTL8125B Linux driver? Realtek has the bad habit of dropping some code in the Linux kernel staging directory, then leave it to rot... That's not really encouraging. Once the Ethernet driver is mainlined, it sure looks like an interesting device.

1 Like

This seems to have all the software needed:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

That's my point. It's up to you to make sure those drivers build against OpenWrt's current kernel and are included before you flash (unless you'd like to hook up serial or a monitor every single time).

As a newbie trying to learn openwrt/linux world abit more.
What you just said "make sure those drivers build against openwrt current kernel before you flash".

What you mean is that the process in this case is to make your own openwrt .iso .img or whatever and flash it to the device youre gonna use?

And this is only necessary if you have a device thats not listed as supported?
Thx

OpenWrt tries to stay close to upstream - latest long term support kernel (LTS) is 5.4 e.g., and the next release will use that for most (maybe all) supported targets. 19.07 stable is on 4.14 (an older LTS release). If you can get the Linux driver to build against those kernels, it should not be too difficult to get them to work with the OpenWrt kernel either. It will require some tinkering though, and the learning curve can be steep if you're new to all of it.

Yeah ive been reading up on kernel versions etc, so u dont think when the new stable version releases, it will contain atleast 5.6 kernel with wireguard?

How would one "get the linux driver to build against those kernels", i would not know what to do after opkg install "xxxx.ipk" if it failed.

Ive been getting advice that maybe https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/x86/generic/kmods/5.4.52-1-d368e1e5345b682fd4c79fb3ff77526c/kmod-usb-net-rtl8152_5.4.52-1_i386_pentium4.ipk would work in my case.

I tried this on a VM running x86 developer firmware, and it told me its not compatilbe with my architecture, but maybe thats not normal cause its a VM, even though its a x86 snapshot?

OpenWrt already has Wireguard. Nothing to worry about there.

You compile it. Like I said: it might be a steep learning curve. if you think installing a binary package might solve the issue.

I have no idea what hardware you're runing, this topic is about the H2+, which is x86_64.

You should use the matching packages that go with your architecture.

This is getting really offtopic, I suggest you open your own topic to get your issues fixed.

For anyone looking for directions, I've written this blog post around running on the N2, should be pretty similar process for any other arm device

Hi Felipe,

I read with great interest your article about OpenWRT and Odroid N2 (I have N2+ version) but I have some doubts about to use openwrt kmods: for example, how to use openwrt wireguard kmods or other kmods not linked to specific devices (in your article you refer to a specific module, ax88179, USB3 to Ethernet device).

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the huge delay, you’ve probably either find the answer yourself or just gave away on the problem hehe

But maybe this answer will help others.
You basically, either:

Configure a repository of kmods yourself by building them from source.
Or you leverage the kernel modules armbian(for example) have already, which is plenty. For example, wireguard is already there :slight_smile: