Novice trying to understand bridging and VLANs for correct configuration

Hi everyone,

I have recently gotten a GPON connection - the ONT is the Huawei HG8145V5. I've been trying to set up a WAN bridge to my WRT3200ACM router running openwrt v19 with limited success:

I followed the following steps:

1. I accessed admin mode on the Huawei ONT page (192.168.100.1)
  2. Navigated to Advanced > WAN
  3. Clicked on connection name 1_INTERNET_R_VID_10 - this is the connection profile that connects to internet via PPPoE encapsulation - noted the VLAN ID (10) and PPPoE username and password
  4. Changed WAN mode to Bridge WAN
  5. Checked binding options to LAN1
  6. Disabled the IPTV profiles as they were in Bridge WAN mode (for reducing any variables that could add to failure) - Clicked save - screenshot:
    https://pasteboard.co/flMXrpRcfOrE.png

7. Connected LAN1 to WAN port on my Linksys router
8. On my WRT3200ACM, configured router mode on WAN settings and selected PPPoE connection type. Entered the PPPoE username and password and clicked apply:

Unfortunately my WRT3200ACM router is not getting a WAN IP - the log states an error "Timeout waiting for PADO"

Then I explored additional options on the huawei ONT and in the routing settings, I found a setting called "IPv4 Service Route Configuration." In that, against service type of PPPoE, an IPTV WAN profile had been assigned. I changed it to the internet WAN profile (i.e. 1_INTERNET_B_VID_10) and my WRT3200ACM router got connected immediately!

However, the trouble is that I am also going to get IPTV service in a few days and am assuming IPTV services are also done via PPPoE connection - unfortunately the "IPv4 Service Route Configuration" does not allow more than one bridge WAN port to be bound on PPPoE service type, as the error states here:

So what I want to understand is:

1. Why did I have to do the last step (IPv4 Service Route Configuration) to make the internet work? This is not the first time i've done bridging settings wiht internet and IPTV with VLAN complications added in the mix - Previously, I had a VDSL connection, set up two VLAN PTM profiles on the ISP router and WAN bridging of the internet to my own router was successful without any issue. The IPTV was connected to the ISP router (not my router) without any issues either, there was no need to do the last step.

2. My understanding is that when creating a bridging profile for internet with VLAN ID 10 and binding it to LAN1 on the Huawei ONT, the traffic to LAN1 becomes untagged and the downstream router (i.e. WRT3200ACM) should not require any VLAN ID configuration - so simply putting in PPPoE credentials should do the trick in authentication. However this did not work in practice

3. If IPTV is set-up, my understanding is that the set-top box will be configured with a separate PPPoE login/pw. Since i changed the setting in Advanced Settings>Routing>IPv4 Service Route Configuration from the IPTV profile to the internet profile, will this not create a problem? and what is the solution?

While this might not help you directly, I'd strongly recommend to you to upgrade to 21.02.x or (better-) a current master snapshot first, before diving deeper into this topic.

On the one hand there is the elephant in the room, of 19.07.x being EOL and unsupported for a long time (and thereby containing a couple of high profile -known- security issues, which means these devices shouldn't be exposed to the internet), but on the other hand mvebu (and with that also your device) migrated from swconfig to dsa with 21.02.x. While both methods can achieve the desired VLAN configuration, the syntax and semantic differ very much between swconfig and dsa - so better to get this out of the way now, before investing time in learning the obsolete swconfig syntax (and you may find more fellow users who have looked deep into dsa recently, than those who are fluent with 'ye olden times).

Your device can easily run the dsa based 21.01.x releases or current master (22.03.x has unfixed bugs with the switch drivers, so don't use those!), and as 23.xy is about to branch of soon, now is the perfect time to test the current master snapshots on this device (which should work fine and have fixed those issues).

1 Like

Sure - i'll do that.

But my questions pertain mostly on understanding the configuration steps I took.

Version 19 uses the old swconfig paradigm. To send and receive tagged Ethernet packets requires configuring each VLAN into the switch configuration (Network-Switch page), and also changing the wan device from eth0 to eth0.N

The change to DSA means that it is only necessary to configure wan.N directly into the wan device, there is no longer a separate switch page. As noted this only really works in the snapshot build for this model. If you want to switch TV packets through the OpenWrt router it gets more complicated you will need to set up tagging of both networks from the ONT and also make up a switch-vlan in DSA, or additional VLAN in the switch in swconfig.

Yes i'm aware of the change.

Here's what i want to do:

1. The ONT to bridge the WAN connection to my WRT3200ACM where I do the PPPoE setup for the WAN interface
  2. The Set top box connects to the Huawei ONT - there is a WAN bridge profile with VLAN ID of 20 alrady pre-configured and i'm assuming the set top box has a PPPoE dialer on it

This is how my setup was configured previously with a VDSL connection and worked well. I did not need to do any VLAN ID tagging on the WRT3200ACM (was using stock firmware back then)

But with a fiber connection, i don't know if i've correctly configured my set-up as i'm a novice and you can see with my 1st post it took a lot of trial and error to come up with a half baked solution. I just want to understand what i'm doing wrong.

Connecting one of the other LAN ports of the ONT directly to the TV box is something that the provider should support you with.

If it is possible to set up ipoe instead of pppoe for the Internet connection, there will be less load on the router CPU.