Not getting IP assigned on WAN interface

So I just installed OpenWRT and can't get an IP assigned from my ISP on the WAN-interface.

The interesting part is that I had the same problem when I installed OpenWRT from the Debian live usb-boot. Then I just let it sit and an hour or so later it had been assigned an IP, no idea why it took so long.

If I plug in my windows laptop it gets assigned an IP straight away (same ethernet connection). My OpnSense installation never had any problems getting IP assigned (on same hardware as I run OpenWRT on).

Anyone got any ideas what's going on or what I can do to troubleshoot?

MAC address caching at ISPs, won't assign more than X IPs?

Try cloning the laptops MAC onto the WAN interface, of your openwrt device.

4 Likes

It worked so it must be. I have no idea why it accepted my laptop straight away when I plugged it in but maybe you are allowed 2 MAC:s and then it takes an hour or so for a reset. But that doesn't make sense either since I run OpenWRT on the same hardware as I used for OpnSense.

Irritating though.

Any problem running the same MAC-address on the WAN-port as I have on my laptop, I guess not since they're not on the same subnet, right?

1 Like

And you know openwrt picked up the hw's WAN MAC correctly?

Shouldn't be, but I'd probably remove the spoofed WAN MAC over night, and see if the ISP had accepted the openwrt MAC in the morning.

3 Likes

And you know openwrt picked up the hw's WAN MAC correctly?

Nope, just assumed it used the HW mac but maybe spooding is what everyone is doing these days.

Shouldn't be, but I'd probably remove the spoofed WAN MAC over night, and see if the ISP had accepted the openwrt MAC in the morning.

Seems to work as you say but good idea. I'll remove it and hopefully get an IP over night.