Noob question- radios reversed?

Got a noob question based on some comments I’ve seen on the board. I’m running an Archer C7 v2 as an AP. I have 2 SSIDs on my 2.4 band (one for IoT devices only) and one SSID on my 5G band.

I’ve heard some people say that the radios are reversed in the ath79 builds. What does that mean? Does that mean eth0 and eth1 are now switched?

Thanks in advance.

Can you show us?

I have heard things have changed, and if you keep config settings, other issues can occur. I'm a witness to that - as it happened to me; but I haven't heard of "radios reversed."

I have heard that it's possible (for example) that radio0 and radio1 can become radio2 and radio3 when settings are kept.

Most modern devices probe the 5 GHz radio (wlan0) before the 2.4 GHz radio (wlan1), the switch from ar71xx to ath79 might have toggled the detecting order in that direction as well.

1 Like

The reason I ask was I saw this comment in a 19.07-RC1 thread:

“The main obstacle for ar71xx to ath79 upgrade is config migration (eth0/eth1 swap and similar issues).”

1 Like

Those are things that can happen, but don't necessarily do for each and every device. If you start with a clean default config, those things should be in order (they might be different compared to be before, but the mapping to WAN and LAN should be correct) - if you keep your existing config (or worse, try to restore an old backup configuration) you are quite likely in trouble, ranging from leaving the device inaccessible (soft-bricked, requiring failsafe recovery) or plagued by more subtle issues.

There's no need to be overly afraid, the result should work nicely and behave in an equivalent way, just that some config details under the hood might differ. The sysupgrade itself might need some further attention, given that device names have changed slightly in many cases, with not all of those instances providing seamless compatibility support (which might require --force, those are the cases that need a little more care, as --force will skip basically all sanity checks, so you need to be extra sure that your sysupgrade image is indeed correct for your device).

2 Likes