No Internet using router wifi device - closed

ISPs changed. The replacement device, a modem, when connected to the computer does not provide Internet access.

Devices powered up in order: modem, router, computer. No joy. I've tried resetting the LEDE router. No joy. What did I do wrong? What do I do to get the 'net back?

The router is (or was) working w/o flaw using a dsl modem-router-wifi. But no wifi in use on this network (no just yet). My physical network shows below as a graphic.

To see the LEDE admin page, no modem is in use. From router-wifi WAN (yellow) to computer LAN (blue), computer, after rebooting to obtain IP address, allows using router admin page.cartoon%20network

Ensure that the network and router are not both 192.168.1.0/24. If the router is OpenWrt, this is the default network, it may be conflicting with the modem.

active%20network%20conn
Above shows network with NO router.

The router (OpenWRT/LEDE/LuCI) is 192.168.1.5 per my config. And is seen when direct connection to the 'puter (no internet as yet).

Looking at that screen shot, it looks as if the modem is connected directly to an Ubuntu system and that system has both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address, with routes for both. The modem is likely in "pass-through" mode, given that you've got a "public" IPv4 address and route.

If you can't connect to the rest of the world with that box, then the problem is likely with the ISP and/or modem.

1 Like

I'm not one to argue, but this modem is "dumb" it has no passthrough. The original DSL (AT&T Motorola NVG599) did have in the router portion a passthrough mode, and the router (Archer C7v2 with OpenWRT/LuCI) was configured originally with that.

Below the network without internet access.

net%20conn%20ending%20in%205

The 192.168.1.5 IP above is an indication that the router is not in its default configuration.

Posting the content of at least /etc/config/network from your router may be helpful to others trying to help you.

1 Like

Based on your previous sceenshoot, the dumb modem seems to be defaulting to pass-thru mode.

Looks like your modem is working well and the lan on your router is also good.

You need to check the WAN settings on your router, I suspect you need "dhcp client" for the protocol as a starting point.

I agree -- I've had several modems that somehow "magically" detected if they should be in pass-through mode or in router mode. No clue how they did it, but they seemed to auto-switch to pass-through mode for me. I did find that the boot sequence on the Arris SBnnnn units seemed to have an impact, but I didn't find my old notes on the "right" order. The modems can also be "sticky" as can the DHCP of your upstream provider. I don't know about Time-Warner, but sometimes unplugging everything from Comcast for 10-20 minutes (or worse, at times) and coming back later seemed to help. Good time for a beverage of your choice :wink:

1 Like

When there is 'net access, there is NO router. It is not physically connected. With 'net access, there is an unmanaged switch only. Or modem to computer with no switch.

root@c7main:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fd17:3340:0acc::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'eth1.1'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.5'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option peerdns '0'
	list dns '9.9.9.9'
	list dns '149.112.112.112'
	option broadcast '1'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '2 3 4 5 0t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '1 6t'

config interface 'csvpntun'
	option proto 'none'
	option ifname 'tun0'

config route
	option interface 'lan'
	option target '192.168.1.254'

config route
	option interface 'wan'
	option target '192.168.1.254'

config route

I'm closing this post. I have factory reset to 192.168.1.1, firstboot(ed), too.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.