No "internet" - openwrt_version r6727-38bd4e4 on TP-Link Archer C25

Hello
I tried to update my Archer C25 to the current version. Right now I use r6727-38bd4e4, which I installed a year ago, and I think is a beta/developer-version - trying to config my device as an repeater - but I gave up, cause of a not very intuitive UI/luci. :confused: (Why not developing luci with "easy-intuitive-mode" & "advanced-mode"?)

Well, now I wanted to give it a try again. Forgot my PW, made a reset, logon via SSH - works.
Connected the Archer-C25 to the WAN-port of my main-router, for internet-connection.

ping 8.8.8.8 (google nameserver) - works
ping google.com - fail

OK - nameserver.... must be resolv.conf - right? Changed to my main-router IP as local DNS.

/etc/initd.d./network restart
ping google.com - fail

Well - that means I can not update the system and not install and enable lucy.
Any hints appreciated! :slight_smile:

set dns under network > interfaces > EDIT > dns and gateway

until then

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv..conf
route del default
route add default gw x.x.x.x
opkg update

If you or wulfy23 doesn't catch it, I believe that should be

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

(with a single period in resolv.conf)

uci show network; uci show dhcp; ls -l /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
What is the output of these commands?

1 Like

Because LuCI itself is the easy mode. Advanced people here use SSH.

1 Like
root@OpenWrt:~# uci show network
network.loopback=interface
network.loopback.ifname='lo'
network.loopback.proto='static'
network.loopback.ipaddr='127.0.0.1'
network.loopback.netmask='255.0.0.0'
network.globals=globals
network.globals.ula_prefix='fdec:b324:c27a::/48'
network.lan=interface
network.lan.type='bridge'
network.lan.ifname='eth1'
network.lan.proto='static'
network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.1.1'
network.lan.netmask='255.255.255.0'
network.lan.ip6assign='60'
network.wan=interface
network.wan.ifname='eth0'
network.wan.proto='dhcp'
network.wan6=interface
network.wan6.ifname='eth0'
network.wan6.proto='dhcpv6'
---
root@OpenWrt:~# uci show dhcp
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0]=dnsmasq
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domainneeded='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].boguspriv='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].filterwin2k='0'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].localise_queries='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_protection='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_localhost='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].local='/lan/'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domain='lan'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].expandhosts='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].nonegcache='0'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].authoritative='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].readethers='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].leasefile='/tmp/dhcp.leases'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].resolvfile='/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].nonwildcard='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].localservice='1'
dhcp.lan=dhcp
dhcp.lan.interface='lan'
dhcp.lan.start='100'
dhcp.lan.limit='150'
dhcp.lan.leasetime='12h'
dhcp.lan.dhcpv6='server'
dhcp.lan.ra='server'
dhcp.wan=dhcp
dhcp.wan.interface='wan'
dhcp.wan.ignore='1'
dhcp.odhcpd=odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd.maindhcp='0'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasefile='/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasetrigger='/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'
dhcp.odhcpd.loglevel='4'
--

root@OpenWrt:~# ls -l /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            16 Apr 19 17:15 /etc/resolv.conf -> /tmp/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            19 Apr 19 17:26 /tmp/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            56 Apr 19 17:23 /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
root@OpenWrt:~#
--

root@OpenWrt:~# head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
==> /etc/resolv.conf <==
nameserver 8.8.8.8

==> /tmp/resolv.conf <==
nameserver 8.8.8.8

==> /tmp/resolv.conf.auto <==
# Interface wan
nameserver 192.168.1.2

resolv.conf seems to be overwritten - after a few seconds/minute or after reboot it´s back to 127.0.0.1
While i can ping 8.8.8.8 i still can not opkg update

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/dhcp_configuration#upstream_dns_provider

1 Like

opkg update - works!

thnx

now I will try to install lucy and - again again - try to config the system as an repeater...

Luci would not install:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install luci
Installing luci (git-19.102.63814-0c7031b-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/mips_24kc/luci/                     luci_git-19.102.63814-0c7031b-1_all.ipk
Installing libubox20170601 (2019-02-27-eeef7b50-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/mips_24kc/base/                     libubox20170601_2019-02-27-eeef7b50-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libubox20170601 wants to install file /lib/l                     ibubox.so
        But that file is already provided by package  * libubox
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.

@olectrix Please use "Preformatted text </>" for logs, scripts, configs and general console output.
grafik

Please edit your postings accordingly.

1 Like

I think you'll have to revisit intent A to achieve intent B

Could you explain your reply?

I feel I´m stuck here now. My intention was to get lucy running, download the newest firmware and upgrade the firmware with lucy... so that I finally would be able to do this repeater-thing...

good... i was a little confused....

thought you had forgot about the need to run an official/stable/more current release

For V1

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-18.06.2-ar71xx-generic-archer-c25-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin -O /tmp/sys.bin
sysupgrade -F -n /tmp/sys.bin
2 Likes

The snapshot system doesn't keep old versions of the packages on file. When using snapshots you have to download all the packages you need on the same day the firmware was built to ensure version compatibility.

So you'll have to upgrade with the CLI. If the router is connected to the Internet, this is a two-step process that is done almost completely on the router and only requires a SSH terminal from your PC.

• Download the new firmware to the /tmp directory. /tmp is a RAM disk which has enough space to store a complete firmware.
  • Run the sysupgrade program to flash the firmware.

The first step is done with the program wget ("Web Get") which can download a file from a web server without being a full browser. On your PC, look up the downloads page for the new firmware. Right click on the correct one and copy the URL. On the SSH terminal, cd /tmp then type wget and a space then copy the URL into the terminal. Edit this line to change the https to http. Then press enter and the router should connect to the OpenWrt server and fetch the file.

Optionally you can run sha256sum on the file and check the result against the posted value to make sure you have a good download. Rather than retype the whole file name, type 'open' and press the Tab key and it should autocomplete.

Double check that you downloaded the correct file for your hardware and it is a sysupgrade not factory build.

Then run sysupgrade -n with the file name. The -n option is the same as checking "do not save settings" in LuCI. This is recommended when the new version is considerably different from the old one.

The flashing will commence. Wait for several minutes for the install to complete. The new firmware can be accessed with ssh at 192.168.1.1.

3 Likes

Thnk you all - the Archer25 is upgraded to the last version, luci runs by default...
Now to the configuration as repeater..
Is there any "easy" way to do this configuration? I find luci not very intuitive, compared to commercial router-UIs... as far as I can see there´s nothing like a "reapeater-setting" in luci... (that´s why I would appreciate an "easy & advaced-mode")

What to do now to "easy" repeat/expand my wifi-network?

You might find the travelmate package helpful