Nighthawk R8000 Throughput Speed Issues

I've seen a few posts from a few years ago regarding throughput speed on the Nighthawk X6 R8000. All of the threads died out without much being figured out.

I've tried both the stock firmware (V1.0.4.52_10.1.67) and OpenWrt compiled from master.

I was seeing 400-450Mbp/s through the WAN to the ISP's speedtest under the OpenWrt image, and 900+ Mbp/s under the stock firmware.

In OpenWrt, I installed QoS just to make sure it was disabled. The posts were all suggesting QoS was playing havoc on the stream. I can tell you that it wasn't the limiting factor.

I enabled both software and hardware offloading.. This DID help, but only in getting me to the 400-450 mark over 300-350.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd much rather have OpenWrt on the router, but I can't justify the speed loss for it.

Thanks!

Is CPU maxed out when you run the speedtests? (top or htop)

1 Like
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ %CPU COMMAND
    9     2 root     RW       0   0%  46% [ksoftirqd/0]

Not even close.. Though the nic is showing 40-99%. But, since I KNOW I can get the speed in the stock firmware, I know the hardware can handle the link. For whatever reason, it can't under OpenWrt.

I've switched back to the ISP Provided Zyxel for now, but I'm not happy about it :slight_smile: It does mean I can afford the downtime to get this right.

Stock
Screenshot from 2020-06-13 13-34-28

OpenWrt
Screenshot from 2020-06-13 16-29-05

The r8000 is a dual-core device, so 46% CPU usage means that one of its cores is almost fully loaded.

I pulled the line stat.. In looking at it, this is probably what you wanted

CPU:   3% usr   6% sys   0% nic  74% idle   0% io   0% irq  14% sirq
Load average: 0.16 0.09 0.09 1/67 6204

Also, Packet Steering didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other, outside a normal variation from run to run.

Any other ideas?

Hey @jow or @anon50098793, do you have any ideas on this before I put it back to stock? I rdon't trust Netgear's firmware (https://www.zdnet.com/article/unpatched-vulnerability-identified-in-79-netgear-router-models/ but I can't run at half-speed or less, either.

i don't know much about that device... what are the soc / network chipsets? and what's in cat /proc/interrupts?

based on the stats and the previous feedback... my guess is that expectations may be too high... and / or like the others have touched on... newer codebase and / or unoptimised stack is revealing limitiations of the underlying hardware.

This is a known problem with openwrt and all broadcom routers, which nobody cares about, it seems. https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2186&string=perf

You should use FreshTomato 2020.2 (.3 has new and unstable driver) and enable CTF in options.

2 Likes

Well, when on stock firmware, I get 900Mbps/240Mbps Down/Up.. On OpenWrt (built from master), I get 400Mbps.. So I don't think it's the hardware that can't handle it, but the implementation.

OpenWrt's Nighthawk R8000 WikiDev

As for /proc/interrupts, I'll have to re-connect it to the network and get that for you.

no need... @a_guy pretty much provided the details in the bug report... so like he says... best to try and track down an alternative firmware with a "specific" codebase or just run stock.

1 Like

Since the R8000 is Officially supported, shouldn't there be a maintainer? :blush: The has been "unassigned" and "very low priority" since early 2019. The whole BCM-chipset makes me leery of trying to poke at it myself, alone.. It's a PITA to get it to TFTP back to stock right :crazy_face:

Thanks again!

from

To solve this problem, Broadcom developed the proprietary ctf.ko module that watches in-system routing rules and implements NAT on its own. It results in much better performance (even up to 850Mb/s on BCM4706) while breaking things like QoS and advanced firewall rules.

Unfortunately ctf.ko is closed source and there is no open source alternative.

some details here

1 Like

Yep. FreshTomato includes this ctf.ko module and it works. r8000 is supported by it. My old r6300v2 is also supported and I can get full gigabit WAN. FreshTomato is basically the only option for open source gigabit WAN but it doesn't support any of recent routers as it's stuck at 2.6 kernel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.