Newifi D2 Terrible WiFi Performance on OpenWrt

The latest MT76 has the same problems with weak signals.

This seems wrong to me.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mt76/rate_txpower
       CCK:  0  0  0  0
      OFDM:  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
      STBC:  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
        HT:  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
       VHT:  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0

I have the same problem. The area of the wifi signal is not so good. Additionally my phone (with Android 10) connects everytime to the 2,4G network and reconnect sometimes. The SSID of the 2,4G and 5G networks is the same. I didn't had these problems with an unifi AP.

there is a new eeprom. Will this change anything?: http://www.minihere.com/newifi3-d2-eeprom-download.html

From OpenWrt firmware upgrade page dump the EEPROM partition 'factory' to disk
Then edit the following lines using a hex editor
hex
Save the changes to a new file
Replace the factory partition using kmod-mtd-write
Reboot the router

1 Like

Could you provide a more detailed step-by-step on this? Thank you! I saw your github page containing the bin files for the factory firmware.

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but bought a used newifi d2 but the seller did not include the power adapter. I would want to know the outer and inner diameter of the AC power adapter you guys are using, as I am looking online for a replacement power adapter, but I don't know the correct size of the plug. Thanks!

I have been experiencing a similar issue, more on what my router shows on this thread, if there is a solution, I would be very happy.
Also, if possible, please explain further the problem and solution, I think everyone here wants to learn more, and it's always a good thing to understand what you are doing.

1 Like

on my router it was the standard 12V plug that comes with this sort of devices, 5.5mm outer diameter

has anyone tried this eeprom image? my device still presents problems with the openwrt snapshot.

I followed @gwlim instructions and the wifi range is noticeably better now. And new power levels appeared for 5GHz, up to 23dBm.

Can you elaborate? I did a live dump and the said lines are already there (19.07.4), do I need to delete them or smth?

Left is the dumped EEPROM from my Newifi D2, right is after the modification.

May I ask what tx power values you've got? These are mine:
2,4GHz
Zrzut ekranu 2020-12-09 144739

5GHz

Although I doubt they are real.

Both my 2.4 and 5 ghz go up to 20dBm

interesting, can you run this command iwinfo wlan0 txpowerlist for me please?

also, I will be updating to this eeprom and checking to see what happens

sadly, nothing changed, and I forgot to backup the one that came with my device, so no idea as to the actual difference that would have made.

There is another radio eeprom in this google drive zip file that you can try. I found that it did help my wireless performance, but I still have problems with the switch crashing.

Mine came with that eeprom flashed and the wifi performance was poor. Looks like this is better. Also, I found some Chinese eeproms https://aisoa.cn/post-2439.html, haven't tried yet.

root@OpenWrt:~# iwinfo wlan0 txpowerlist
   0 dBm (   1 mW)
   1 dBm (   1 mW)
   2 dBm (   1 mW)
   3 dBm (   1 mW)
   4 dBm (   2 mW)
   5 dBm (   3 mW)
   6 dBm (   3 mW)
   7 dBm (   5 mW)
   8 dBm (   6 mW)
   9 dBm (   7 mW)
  10 dBm (  10 mW)
  11 dBm (  12 mW)
  12 dBm (  15 mW)
  13 dBm (  19 mW)
  14 dBm (  25 mW)
  15 dBm (  31 mW)
  16 dBm (  39 mW)
  17 dBm (  50 mW)
  18 dBm (  63 mW)
  19 dBm (  79 mW)
* 20 dBm ( 100 mW)
1 Like

If I create several networks in the 5ghz one falls and the others stay, this cannot be the driver, if they do not fall all at once

Could you post your eeprom bin?