Newbie trying to create simple VLAN at home for weeks, no luck

Great, then you should be good to go.

Enjoy, and don't give out your wifi pass ,)

1 Like

:thinking: but I thought I was supposed to leave the SSID and password unchanged. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: should I give it unique SSID and password then?

If you used the same pass and ssid as the main network, no wonder people could play with your Chromecast, the clients don't care where they connect, as long as the wifi works.
If you truly want to keep people away, this is the way to go.

Might also consider lowering your radios signal strength, if you only need to cover one room.

1 Like

Yes I know I just misunderstood your advice. As I said in my main post I've tried giving it a different SSID and password but then connection breaks. And it won't broadcast a working internet connection. I'll try it again and see. Sorry to be such a pest.

Interesting, how do I do that? I believe the one messing with my network is the one right next to me. we've had some altercations.

True, but since we didn't know what you'd done, there's no way of telling why it was failing.

Now you've only done the absolute minimum, to make it work.
Keep it that way, and see if it works, if not, post back.

1 Like

Ok, gave it a new SSID and password. Had to change the mode to access point since the network wasn't even showing as active. After that I logged into it, it took longer than usual and it's not broadcasting internet.

post a screen shot from network -> interfaces.

yeah, you're not getting any IP on the WWAN.

what do you mean by this ?

The new network was set up as client by default and when is set up like that for it to work it has to be configured with the same SSID and passowrd as the original network. So in order to change that and make it discoverable, I had to change from Client to Access Point in the network settings page.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it? I'm sorry this has taken so long when it seems it should be a simple task.

You've got two radios on the RT-N56U, right ?
Use one of them as a wireless client to the main network, and the 2nd one to retransmit the signal, using your personal ssid.

:open_mouth: yes it has two radios. I have no idea how to do that. But I'll try using the 2.4 to connect and the 5G to broadcast.

So the one you've just used to create the connection to the main wifi, isn't obviously to be used for retransmitting :wink:
The other one, will be off by default. enable it, after setting the new ssid and pass.

1 Like

Dang, is this how it was supposed to be done all along?

If you've got a device with two radios, it'd be the easiest way, yes :wink:

OMG! Its configured now. Let me see if it's working. Thanks a lot Frollic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.