New Xiaomi router AC2100

Thank you all for the great work.

Is BREED required or recommended? Any reason not to install it?
Planning to install when I receive my device, hopefully soon.

You can do so but it's not a requirement. If you don't want to switch on regular basis between different operating systems I don't see a big benefit but it's up to you.

If you want to use it there's a good explanation how to prepare the images for breed in post 555

If you don't want to use breed you can take the images as they are without any modifications and you can directly follow the PPPoE exploit procedure.

1 Like

With Breed your router almost unbreakable.
What will you do if some of OpenWrt build do not startup?

You're right in this situation it will make your life easier. However even without breed you could simply do a stock recovery and then flash a working OpenWRT image again so breed is not really a "must-have" but it could be perceived as a "nice-to-have". For beginners it would make things more difficult as they have to prepare the images for breed and of course they have to flash breed in advance...

Can you tell me any method to flash custom OpenWrt image with stock recovery without soldering UART console? You can to make users life easier and add prebuild breed images.

Of course there's a method to use stock recovery without soldering. All necessary files are included in my Google Drive folder and it's based on a DHCP / TFTP recovery method (MiWifiRepairTool).

If you don't want to use the MiWifiRepairTool you could even do the same thing manually. The guide how to do that is included in the official documentation on the OpenWRT website.

A pretty good guide for the straightforward MiWifiRepairTool is available here (of course you should use the correct stock image for your router instead of the image file mentioned in that thread)

@rlvcosta @wf1nder

If just want to use VLANs on wan, you can just change option interface 'wan' to option interface 'wan.10'

It can also be done on LuCI: edit the wan interface, in physical settings, put wan.10 in interface

Why can't I start perform a factory reset on redmi 2100 router flashed by openwrt?

With MiWifiRepairTool you can flash only official signed stock rom. It's well known way but we need to hack original firmware again. With Breed we can flash any rom (stock/custom) in any time. And I don't think that this way is "more difficult".

It's ok to reset if you mistaked with configuration. But what to do if you just flashed rom that don't boot at all?

Last time appears warning windows if you try to flash new openwrt images!
Where can I get at last official Breed ready image for redmi?

I have doubt if breed is safe for external intrusion :thinking:?
Could you create openwrt img for breed?

Can the WAN be used for anything useful when running in bridged ap mode? Also how do I access via ssh/luci then?

Can I use this method to convert from .bin to .trx file for flashing by Breed bootloader?

dd if=openwrt-10.03.1-brcm47xx-wrt150n-squashfs.bin bs=32 skip=1 of=openwrt-10.03.1-brcm47xx-wrt150n-squashfs.trx

Goodnight
Just installed Openwrt and very happy.
How is it updated?

I'm lost.

Thank you

Use this file https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_redmi-router-ac2100-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Sorry but I wouldn't recommend to run master images on the AC2100 series. They aren't running stable and there are a lot of driver issues on master. This is why we created backports as everything is running stable and well in 19.07.3.

All these official snapshot images are created by the automatic build bot so it's not done by a human being - which is not an issue at all - but all of them are built directly from the development master branch. As I previously said I woulnd't recommend to run them if you want to have a stable environment. They are meant for testing purposes and not for a stable production usage.

It's a little bit more complex. You have to do some modifications on the kernel1 file and then combine it with the rootfs0 file to get a breed compatible image. It's described in post 555 how this is done on a MS Windows system. If you want to do it with Linux just adapt it.

I'm still not totally convinced to provide "ready to go" breed compatible images. For such things I am a little bit conservative and I like to take it the pure way. That means I don't want to modify layers which aren't necessary to be modified (e.g. the bootloader). I am not sure about the security aspects and I think there might be cases how to use breed to take illegaly control over the device and flash another image (e.g. if you find a vulnerability preventing the image from booting up correctly and then forcing a reboot you will have access to the breed WebUI for image flashing). In my opinion all of your arguments are completely valid while testing images or for development purposes but for production usage I would choose the genuine bootloader because of these potentially implied security risks. I may be wrong on that point but currently that's what I'm thinking about it. However you're absolutely free to take my images and convert them to a breed compatible format on your own.

3 Likes

As long as the backport to 19.07.x is not merged I will upload updated stable images for every published stable 19.07.x version. You can just use the WebUI for upgrading to these new images then. If you are on master and want to go back to 19.07.x you should do it via mtd write instead of the WebUI sysupgrade.

1 Like

Hello,

I just recevied my AC2100 Redmi. Without plugging it into mains and booting it up for the first time, is there a trick that I can exploit to get into its console, without going thorugh all the steps (PPPoE emulator, whatnot) and get OpenWRT flashed on it?

... Or there is no skipping thorugh this path at the moment, I need to follow the full guide to get the basic OpenWrt image transferred and flashed then booted off then flash the full package to get it persistent?

Thank You,