New to custom images, a little guidance needed

Hey there all,

I've been a user of various devices with OpenWRT for some time now. It's great but for my very specific applications I'm trying to create something based on a Raspberry Pi CM4 with a mini router carrier board. Currently the DFrobot DFR0767. The image that they have released has no support for the Rpi wifi on-board the CM4.

So what I'm looking to do is create an image that has the wifi support added as I believe the official image does, but to also include the necessary additional drivers required for the carrier board as well as a couple of other packages namely relayd and luci-proto-relay. Edit:drivers are in the repos listed in the image builder repositories.conf file.

So the main questions are:

1. Using image builder for the Rpi4, when I build the image does it already include the Luci interface? From running "make manifest PACKAGES" it would seem not but the .manifest file in the target repo seems to list 17 packages.

2. To add the extra packages it would seem that I just need to 'include' them using "make image PACKAGES="pk1 pk2" etc. And this seems like what I need. But what is the syntax here? And this is likely just my lack of experience with linux packages in general but for example relayd, do I need to enter it in the list as just "relayd" or do I need to add any or all of the additional info contained in the .ipk file name?

3. If I wanted to eventually change some aspects of the appearance of the Luci web GUI, (mostly just color scheme and maybe adding in a custom logo) is there any documentation on that? I've poked around the image builder directories as well as the image builder wiki but not seeing what I'm looking for.

Anyway I think that's it for now. I very much appreciate any guidance that can be provided.

Questions 1 and 2 can be answered here:

and Q3 here:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

While it seems that simple deduction using "make manifest PACKAGES" it seems that Luci is not installed by default.

My #2 isn't really answered in the section of the image builder wiki that addresses selecting packages or custom packages. Though after reading the wiki again it seems that there is a single line in the example section that one could deduce is just the basic package name, i.e. "relayd" and not "relayd_2020-04-25-f4d759be-1_aarch64_cortex-a72.ipk". Not that this is the place for it but the wiki could be just slightly more explicit there.

And lastly it looks like that Luci Themes wiki is a rabbit hole that I will dig into now.

Again I do appreciate the quick response. I'm certainly no coder but I am not afraid to go down the rabbit hole of research. Just sometimes I just can't see where the hole is ya know.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.