Network reload vs wifi command

If I change either my Ethernet or wifi config via uci, and commit that, and then use “service network reload”, do I still need to use the “wifi” command?

Thanks.

@stmtpr That's not what he's asking though.

@huntc You'd have to go check the network and wireless service files. It always felt to me like a network restart would also reload wireless interfaces; but that might also be because when the same device handles your WAN connection and your wireless, clients will start complaining about connection loss.

2 Likes

Depending on what you change, you may not need to restart the whole network service, but a ifup wan can do the needful.

2 Likes

Reloading the network service includes reloading Wi-Fi:

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies. So, reloading the network service should be adequate? I also read that the network daemon is diligent about what is done with interfaces, depending on what has been changed via UCI.

Is it correct to assume that the wifi command is there then for historical reasons only?

Why would the wifi command be historical? It still allows you to bring up and down just the wireless interfaces. That is very much desired functionality, given it's still less reliable than good old wired Ethernet.

1 Like

Why would the wifi command be historical? It still allows you to bring up and down just the wireless interfaces. That is very much desired functionality, given it's still less reliable than good old wired Ethernet.

Are you not able to control the wireless interfaces individually by manipulating their corresponding “disabled” setting in UCI?

There are several ways to achieve the goal, and a lower level tool might be handy to manage the device from CLI, e.g. to temporarily change or check the runtime status of Wi-Fi:

1 Like

Thanks. I get the convenience aspects that you mention.

My original question was whether I need to use the "wifi" command (no params, sorry if that wasn't clear), if I'm already performing a "service network reload". From the thread so far, the impression I'm getting is that "service network reload" is all I need upon having affected changes via UCI and committing them.

1 Like

Post #5 is basically @vgaetera doing for you what I told you to do. Which is why I marked it as the solution :wink:.

I suggest you re-read it.

1 Like

service network restart is all you need, you can look at the script to see what it does:

cat /etc/init.d/network

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.