Netgear XR500 support?

I think because of the differing partition i remember this and using the 'netgear' part

1 Like

mhh this brake sysupgrade... i don't think brake first installation from webui

I don't think i could get the webui to accept the image and ended up tftp and has seemingly worked since. 1:1 to my r7800 just more flash

from that branch(should be the same image as screen posted) plus: zram/zswap/luci-app-compressed-memory, -O2, 256QAM, bunch of luci apps

FWIW the dts is really just different partition sizes and lights (esata led >guest wifi led, and another swapped around) compared to r7800

I'm just a noob who found some patches and kept building it

1 Like

new on this?

i cleaned up commits(maybe model named differently akin to other "Nighthawk") but like was stated in the pull request, it might be better to have a dtsi for this and the r7800

it has been working for me in master since i found this from @saksev on these forums and from the ddwrt source for xr500 like the post

The XR450 looks nearly identical. Unclear why the 2.4 GHz band is limited to 600 Mpbs.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_XR450

Would adding support be a simple as it appears to the patch?

Given that the xr500 support hasn't been merged yet (mostly because no one could positively confirm that it works yet, on the contrary), there is nothing to merge so far. First it needs to work, be it on the xr500 or xr450.

Wireless on the ipq806x target is implemented via PCIe cards. Yes, they're not socketed as usual, but directly embedded into the board, but it still means the vendors can match and mix the actual wireless card as they see fit and according to their target price range. It's quite likely that xr500 and xr450 are identical, aside from the soldered in wireless chipset and the h/w IDs, in which case it would be trivial to extent support to the xr450 - but, this still needs confirmation and support for the xr500 to get working first.

What can give "positive confirmation"?
Just slap some device info and installation instructions to the commit i last linked and make a pull request?

Tested by tag for example

1 Like

I have opened another pull request

1 Like

any good news about xr500 guys ?

A newer pull request was made ~month ago by @adamhnat but has been seemingly ignored by developers.

last commit was 11 days ago https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3215#issuecomment-668100184
I don't know how is the process

unfortunatly my device bricked :frowning: it seems that by accident uboot was erased/rewritten. Does anyone has some experience to boot this SoC from RAM using JTAG port?
My plan is to find a way to put uboot in RAM, then boot it, and then using SPI write new uboot again.

@adamhnat: I'm wondering if I've had the same thing happen to my XR500. Does your XR500 currently function as a 5-port switch? My XR500 will power on and only the USB2 light, plus the lights for any ethernet cord, will be illuminated. If I connect the XR500 to my other router, the devices on the XR500 will get DHCP leases from the other router. TFTP and serial do not work.

All I did was reflash the Netgear firmware back on it to get some info. It flashed and booted into the OEM firmware. When I powered it off and on it just went into this mode.

@jordanp: exactly same behavior! + serial console is responding at all. In my case there were few times firmware changes official -> openwrt -> official. Then on official firmware "it was working fine", suddenly it stuck in this mode after reboot one day, for now didn't find way to bing it back (I have idea to do it using JTAG, however I cannot find any documentation how to put SoC in mode that allows me load uboot to ram then boot it from ram (same as it's in Mediatec SoC). the switch mode might be "default" one when uboot cannot be loaded (due to broken ext memory or broken uboot).

I have crazy idea... since usb2 led is lighting, and uboot is broken - it may be something similar as in Phone with QCA SoCs (I have hope that engineers were lazy and same tick can be reused here) - In next weeks I will check if SoC is in EDL mode so firmware might be pushed trough usb using firehose programming...

Can someone make bootlog including uboot for me?

Need help got openwrt download on my xr500 but for some reason nvram isn't working this is what i get on putty.

login as: root
root@192.168.1.1's password:

BusyBox v1.28.4 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 18.06.2, r7676-cddd7b4c77
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# nvram show
-ash: nvram: not found

OpenWrt does not use nvram, but uci show will provide a rough equivalent (with a very different syntax and semantics) - respectively fw_printenv from the uboot-envtools package to display the bootloader configuration.