Netgear WN604 information

I'm not sure how to find that out. I have run a load of other commands to get more info, not sure if any of it's helpful but I've added it to the gist linked above. If you want me to run any specific commands, either in u-boot or in the booted linux shell, let me know.

To me this device pretty much looks like Netgear WPN824N which is already supported.
Just without WAN port.
I can give it a go today/tommorow and try to make a image(May or may not work)

I looked up that WPN824N following your comment and it led me to find an OpenWRT forum post about WNR1000v2 which also discusses the WN604 and that led me to this thread which discusses a successful flashing of the WN604. So it looks like it is possible.

Also this may be of interest.

I'll keep the board out on my bench so I can try anything if you'd like me to. But I haven't done anything beyond flashing updated factory firmware via the web interface on this particular hardware. I have done a complete installation including tftp booting and installation through a soldered uart on another device so I am willing to roll my sleves up but I might need a little guidance. In case it matters, my computer is running Arch Linux.

Well from what I have seen WP842N nad WN604 are exactly the same,WP842N just has WAN port in adittion of 4 LAN ports and that is it.
I have tried to build the firmware yesterday but since WP842N is legacy device it looks like building for it is broken so WN604 does not also works since they share almost everything

Do you think the build for wn824n (lede-17.01.2-ar71xx-generic-wpn824n-squashfs-factory.img) would work as is?

I guess it probably isn't worth the effort though. Anyway, I have more capable devices here awaiting my attention and I know they are supported. I will keep the WN604 around for a few more days but I'll probably sell it on....

It could easily work.
Give it a try

OK. Mixed success.

I have a successful boot but it's old BARRIER BREAKER (14.07, r44095). I followed the instructions in this post using an image downloaded from github, specifically openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory-barrier-breaker-r44095-img. Before I tried that one, I tried these:

1. lede-17.01.2-ar71xx-generic-wpn824n-squashfs-factory.img which gave Bad Magic Number,it is forbidden to be written to flash!!

2. lede-17.01.2-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory.img which installed but would not boot: Wrong Image Type for bootm command

I tried modifying the bootargs as per the linked forum post and that allows boot to proceed but the boot did not complete (some complaint about using jffs with an old kernel). I then tried:

1. openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory-chaos-calmer-r44154.img obtained from github but that entered a boot loop.

Finally the one that worked:

## Booting image at 80800000 ...
   Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.10.49
   Created:      2015-01-24  22:37:24 UTC
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)
   Data Size:    1118220 Bytes =  1.1 MB
   Load Address: 80060000
   Entry Point:  80060000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
No initrd
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 80060000) ...
## Giving linux memsize in bytes, 33554432

Starting kernel ...

[    0.000000] Linux version 3.10.49 (build@downloadfast01) (gcc version 4.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r44065) ) #3 Sat Jan 24 17:35:02 EST 2015
Please press Enter to activate this console.

I guess that the bootargs might be modified so that the LEDE image works. I think there's some kind of magic number that need to be replaced to get the image to take. No idea how to do either.

At least I have some kind of openwrt firmware on the device now.

One thing is that I can't get back to the factory firmware because the format is wrong (i.e. a zip-tar rather than an img). I'm not that bothered but it would be nice to be able to complete the cycle.

Great that one version works.
Yeah, it looks like LEDE uses a magic number from other Netgear router which does not match stock one.
Unfortunately that is beyond my knowledge

I'm going to stick with what I have now - it may be an older build but I have it configured as an access point bridge and it's working great. Far better than the stock firmware ever was. Thank you for helping me, I appreciate it.

It appears the magic number is 0x31303031.

http://www.saltwaterc.eu/adding-openwrt-support-for-netgear-wnr1000v2.html

I'm currently running LEDE 17.01.4 r3560 successfully on a WNR1000V2-VC. I built the image using Image Builder and removed packages so the final size is ~3.4MB. If an image is much larger than that the device will bootloop or not preserve settings upon reboot.

More information:

1 Like

Hello, my Netgear WN604 has also been acting up lately and I would like to try OpenWRT out before replacing it. Just to make sure I understood correctly - you're using the "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory-barrier-breaker-r44095-img" image, right? Do I follow the instructions exactly, without any changes in commands?
No performance or stability issues? Actually remembers settings after reboot, unlike Netgear's FW?
Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello @kamild1996, I used openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory-barrier-breaker-r44095-img as described in my post and the linked post there which describes exactly what I did. It's a while since I did it so it has left my main memory :slight_smile: but it did work for me.

That said, the WN604 is very low-spec and can only just accommodate the firmware. As soon as I tried to install anything else I hit resource issues and problems. So don't expect much more that what it comes with. But that is infinitely better than the Netgear firmware :slight_smile:

Thanks @starfry! I decided to try and go a little further with this, and I built the latest OpenWrt image w/ LuCI, while cutting out some packages not too useful for an access point, and it seems to work! The GUI is responsive, even saves settings after reboot (what a luxury!). Seems stable, although I have only tested it with one device connected at a time, I'm planning to stress it a little more though. Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

Ah that's interesting, @kamild1996. Do you have an image that I could perhaps test? I haven't gone as far as rebuilding images myself (not that I couldn't, just that I haven't :wink: )

Sure, hopefully it's not a problem in terms of rules :slight_smile:

Builds for 18.06.02 and 17.01.06 for the WNR1000v2 and v2-VC.

Kamild,

I've created updated firmware for the WN604's close cousin, the WNR1000v2. Do you still have the WNR604? If so, could you test some of my recent firmware builds to see if they'd work?

I'd like to get the WNR604 working on current firmware.

Modern Openwrt for the WNR1000v2

Unfortunately no, was upgrading my home network to have 802.11ac, so it had to be replaced.
But for the period I was using it (idk, 6 months) it worked great, it didn't hang at all, unlike the default firmware.

1 Like

I asked a follow up about getting eth0, etc configured correctly on a WN04, but decide dit was better asked here:Configuring eth0, eth1, eth0.1, etc on new access point device