Netgear WN604 information

Hello @kamild1996, I used openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wnr1000v2-squashfs-factory-barrier-breaker-r44095-img as described in my post and the linked post there which describes exactly what I did. It's a while since I did it so it has left my main memory :slight_smile: but it did work for me.

That said, the WN604 is very low-spec and can only just accommodate the firmware. As soon as I tried to install anything else I hit resource issues and problems. So don't expect much more that what it comes with. But that is infinitely better than the Netgear firmware :slight_smile:

Thanks @starfry! I decided to try and go a little further with this, and I built the latest OpenWrt image w/ LuCI, while cutting out some packages not too useful for an access point, and it seems to work! The GUI is responsive, even saves settings after reboot (what a luxury!). Seems stable, although I have only tested it with one device connected at a time, I'm planning to stress it a little more though. Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

Ah that's interesting, @kamild1996. Do you have an image that I could perhaps test? I haven't gone as far as rebuilding images myself (not that I couldn't, just that I haven't :wink: )

Sure, hopefully it's not a problem in terms of rules :slight_smile:

Builds for 18.06.02 and 17.01.06 for the WNR1000v2 and v2-VC.

Kamild,

I've created updated firmware for the WN604's close cousin, the WNR1000v2. Do you still have the WNR604? If so, could you test some of my recent firmware builds to see if they'd work?

I'd like to get the WNR604 working on current firmware.

Modern Openwrt for the WNR1000v2

Unfortunately no, was upgrading my home network to have 802.11ac, so it had to be replaced.
But for the period I was using it (idk, 6 months) it worked great, it didn't hang at all, unlike the default firmware.

1 Like

I asked a follow up about getting eth0, etc configured correctly on a WN04, but decide dit was better asked here:Configuring eth0, eth1, eth0.1, etc on new access point device