NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX6120

Hi OpenWRT Forum, nice to meet you.
I have just ordered a EX6120 and was wondering if it's compatible with OpenWRT.
The 6150 is in the list of supported hardware, so I would assume the 6120 will work.
My usecase is to stay connected to a BT-with-FON network on the router (keep it open) and create a local network that uses it.
Sebastian

That’s not a good assumption for embedded devices, even across versions of the same number. The two have at least a different SoC (MT7620A, MT7621ST) listed on WikiDevi. If it is not on the supported-devices list, it’s not supported.

Alright. Fully understood and will probably exchange it for another router. Thank you!

You might consider looking at the GL-iNet AR750S ("Slate") if you're looking for something compact with dual-band capabilities. While not plug-mount, epoxy cement and a 5 V cell-phone adapter (included) can solve that, if you really need it. It's a very small device. Should be pretty much turn-key for a repeater and comes with effectively 18.06.1 preinstalled. It is a great travel router, in my experience, as well.

A larger dual-band unit at a similar US$75 price point (34£ through Amazon UK recently) would be the EA6350v3. At 34£ it's a steal for a dual-band device with a multi-core, ARM-based SOC. Most devices in this class are running US$125-175.

Thank you Jeff for these recommendations.

I've been thinking a bit about the setup & requirements for my house. It's 2 floors, probably about 8-9 meters in either direction that need connection, multiple walls & doors, so I believe the small travel router won't cut it.

From reading the forums, I understand the Netgear R7800 is a solid choice so I will probably go with that and be done with it.

Thank you once again!

In addition to the EX6150, the EX7300 series is supported too.

Yes, however be careful selecting the correct version of the products as Chipset changes have been made

for example chipset changes for the EX7300 and EX7300v2

Netgear EX7300 v1 - Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 and Qualcomm Atheros QCA9980

Netgear EX7300 v2- Qualcomm QCN5502 and Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984

Correct. Support for the v2 devices will probably be added some time after Netgear releases the GPL sources for them. So far, they have not, despite the fact that their factory firmware is based on OpenWrt.

I've been able to install and run OpenWRT 19.07.02 on the EX6120. The device report itself as a EX3700/EX3800 but everything is working fine. I think the EX6130 is also supported.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.