Netgear R7800 (Nighthawk X4S AC2600) Installation Questions

Hello Everyone,

I'm preparing to install OpenWrt on my Netgear R7800. But I'm a little confused based off of the information found through the forum and website.

I found hnyman's build and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to download the files from there or from this site.

Also, I bought this router from someone who previously flashed OpenWrt on it but has since reverted it back to stock.

And some more questions:

• Can I just install the latest OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3 (r16172-2aba3e9784)? Or do I have to use the older builds?

• Do I always have to install the squashfs-factory.img first? Or can I skip straight to the squashfs-sysupgrade.bin? (The firmware links are from the device page.

Thank You!

If you are still running the netgear oem firmware, you need the factory image for installation.
(Sysupgrade Image can be used when you already run OpenWrt)

You can install any of the builds. Most recent 21.02 build or the recent master.

If you want my build, you need to download it from my download directory (linked in the forum thread)

1 Like

How would I go about downloading your sysupgrade image on my SSH session at the moment? Since they are dropbox links?

EDIT: Nvm, I was able to figure it out. Thanks! I look forward to using OpenWrt for the first time and manage my Bufferbloat :slight_smile: