Netgear GS108Tv3/GS110TPv3/GS110TPP switch support

I was comparing GS310TP and GS110TPv3

both boards seem to be pretty identical.

GS110TPv3 is also marketed as "ProSafe GS110 mart Managed Pro Switches with Cloud Management "
GS310TP is also marketed "S350 Smart Managed Pro Switch Series"

Both are below the 150€ price range. GS110TPv3 is even a year newer, and a few bucks cheaper compared to the GS310TPv1.

So trial and error for the GPIO Pins on GS310TP to BitBang the SFP Ports is probably a dead end, or a lot of trial and error.
It's maybe a lot easier and faster to have a look at the GS110TP instead. as it's the newer and cheaper version of it.

Realtek RTL838x / RTL8380M

MIPS 4KEc 500MHz CPU
SPI boot flash up to 32MB
8 gigabit embedded PHYs
2 SFP Ports 
Nuvoton M0516LDN 

What i could tell, just by looking at the pcb's.

U10 ( Bidirectional I2C Isolator;Silicon Labs;Si8600;;1; ) from GS310TP was replaced with two white optocouplers U38/U39 (6-Pin DIP Schmitt Trigger Output Optocoupler;ON Semi;H11L1M;;2;) on GS110TPv3
Despite the Isolator/optocouplers, it seems it's identical. similar BOM.

So i was reading through the rtl838x thread and found:

It seems the GS110TPv3 has not the GS310TP GPIO issues for the SFP Ports, as SDA, SCK and Disable are different cpu gpio pins.

https://svanheule.net/switches/gs310tp
vs.
https://svanheule.net/switches/gs110tpv3
vs.
https://svanheule.net/switches/gs108tv3

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_GS310TP
vs.
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_GS110TP_v3
vs.
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_GS108Tv3
Even the GS108Tv3 is similar, just 8 ports, no SFP or PoE+, but with PoE-PD on port #1

This was the last GS110TPv3 post, regarding someone to successfully install the GS108Tv3 image.

As the GS108Tv3 is already having a stable release: https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/gs108t_v3
It's maybe a low hanging fruit to have GS110TPv3 support added to master.
Perfect base to continue with the SFP Ports, which are hopefully easier to bring to a functional mode in GS110TPv3 than in GS310TP.

Did anyone have any luck/success with the GS110TPv3 and testing the SFP Ports there?

I had forgotten all about the GS110TPv3! I have one here and had at one time started to add support, but then my job got in the way and I completely forgot about it! I'll have to dig through my hardware to locate it and it will likely be a couple of weeks before I have time. If no one else picks up working on it feel free to ping me in a couple of weeks.

4 Likes

have a nice ping this morning

Still haven't located it although I'm making some progress digging out the stack of hardware. Should be to the bottom of it this weekend.

I was wondering, when getting openwrt installed on GS110TPv3 or GS110TPP, will you be able to add a PPPoE interface?

Sure, you can do anything that OpenWrt supports. But please be aware that this hardware is designed as a switch, not as a router. While it works, the routing performance to expect is about 20Mbit/s.

Thanks andyboeh. I was hoping I can swap my BT HH5 and enjoy poe for my APs at the same time since both are 500ghz cpu.

Did you have a chance to try your GS110TP v3?

Sorry, not had much time recently and also sidetracked by other issues.

I built/flashed a recent 5.15.112 snapshot (r0-8d618a31) on my GS110TPP, and I noticed a few things. My other realtek switches from Zyxel work as expected with regards to the following issues:

• LEDs: Upon boot first LEDs 2,3,4, are solid, and then after boot LEDs 5,6,7 are solid
  • EEE: ethtool --show-eee lanX works once, but hangs the switch at next prompt
  • Watchdog: Does not kick in when switch hangs due to the above

Ports 9 and 10 seem to work now (contrary to the indication in the WIKI)

Does yours have the same behaviour/symptoms? Could mine be defective?

I have a GS308T with openwrt too, but haven't reflashed it yet. I seem to recall the Port LEDs there being always off last time I flashed an Openwrt to it. An early 5.15, if memory serves.

Do you happen to know, if LACP is supported in the meantime? Maybe when 6.1 comes around?

Anyway, thanks already for all the work you (all) have been putting into this.

This can be worked around by running

fw_setenv bootcmd "rtk network on; boota"

Reason: There is no LED support on RTL83xx in OpenWrt. This commands forces U-Boot to properly set up the LEDs.

NB: In older OpenWrt builds, fw_setenv doesn't work because the partition is not writable. In this case, you need to upgrade first, this was fixed some time ago.

1 Like

I applied this to the GS110TPP , and now the PORT LEDs work. Thank you.
Will apply this to the GS308T too.

So, how/why do the Port LEDs on the Zyxel work? Because there

root@zyxel-gs1900hp8:~# fw_printenv | grep bootcmd
bootcmd=cst fcTest; boota

The vendor U-Boot loaders are all different. ZyXEL might do the LED initialization at a different stage than Netgear. TP-Link, for instance, doesn't initialize them at all and does not allow you to change the bootcmd either.

1 Like

Ah, that was my missing piece. at least one of them.

Do you know, how the POE is handled?

ubus call poe info output and POE LEDs are inverted (Right-to-left) on my GS110TPP:

Port 1 POE activates LED of PORT 8, and Port1 consumption shows up on lan8 ubus.
Port 2 POE activates LED of PORT 7, and Port2 consumption shows up on lan7 ubus.
Port 7 POE activates LED of PORT 2, and Port7 consumption shows up on lan2 ubus.
Port 8 POE activates LED of PORT 1, and Port8 consumption shows up on lan1 ubus.

Where can I set the correct sequence? Invert the numbers in /etc/config/poe?

Edit: I inverted the IDs in /etc/config/poe. Now my ubus output is correctly reporting the consumption values, but the LEDs are still wrong as detailed above.

During bootup, the POE-LEDs are correct for the first 30 seconds or so, but just before I can login via SSH, the LEDs start misbehaving .

According to this the PoE status LEDs are controlled by the PoE MCU and not the Linux kernel. Hence, there might be some misconfiguration with what you changed in /etc/config/poe or something wrong with the protocol used to talk to the MCU.

Here is the link to the daemon handling PoE management and the forum thread for discussion is here.

1 Like

The MCU probably still needs to be told which PSE outputs belong to which ports, in order to correctly indicate PoE status with the LEDs.

On first sight, this should just require implementation of commands 0x1d (Set port mapping) and 0x02 (Set port map enable), and some way to store this info in the device config.

2 Likes

Yes, probably. FWIW, this was part of the very first lua implementation, and defaulted to configuring the ports in the reverse order. See:

where we had

function setPortRelPrio(pCon, port, prio)
	local cmd = {0x1d, 0x00, port, prio}
	sendCommand(pCon, cmd)
end

and

for i = 0, 7 do
		setPortRelPrio(pCon, i, 7-i)
	end

I might have accidentally have caused this to be dropped in later lua versions and therefore eventually in the c rewrite, since it seemed both unnecessary and wrong for the ZyXEL GS1900-10HP.

Adding it back to the current c implementation based on the existing per-port id and name attributes look like the right thing to do.

2 Likes

This thread is still open so I'll ask it here --

I'm trying to do an initial flash of OpenWRT to a GS110TPP, starting from Netgear firmware 7.0.9.19 via the Netgear web interface, without success so far.

Output from show startup-config in the Netgear CLI (just to verify the hardware & firmware versions):

myname# show startup-config
SYSTEM CONFIG FILE ::= BEGIN
! Model: GS110TPP
! System Description: GS110TPP 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
! Firmware Version: 7.0.9.19 [Oct 30 2023 - 20:31:44]
! Loader Version: 1.0.0.5 [2019-03-15 17:08:23 UTC]
! Config Version: 1
! Hardware Version: 0

The GS110TPP is listed as "supported" in the OpenWRT hardware directory (and in the firmware search / config utility) but there is no specific install / config help page for it, so I tried just following the instructions for the GS308Tv1 instead, directly uploading the latest GS110TPP firmware

openwrt-23.05.2-realtek-rtl838x-netgear_gs110tpp-v1-initramfs-kernel.bin

through the Netgear web interface (Maintenance --> Update --> HTTP Firmware/File Update. It simply won't accept the OpenWRT firmware.

Fails with the following:

I've also tried copying

openwrt-23.05.2-realtek-rtl838x-netgear_gs110tpp-v1-initramfs-kernel.bin

via TFTP from the Netear "CLI Lite" management interface which is accessible at telnet port 60000 on the router, but that also fails:
(* I renamed the full openwrt-23.05...kernel.bin file on the tftp server to 'initramfs.bin' for sake of simplicity/brevity at the command line.)

myname# copy tftp://192.168.1.30/initramfs.bin flash://image1
Downloading file. Please wait...
!
FAILED
myname#

I tried the same tftp copy command to get the GS108T_110TP_TPP_V7.0.9.19.bix firmware instead, just to see whether the CLI tftp was perhaps filtering by file or extension name, but it gave the same result, "FAILED."

(I checked carefully to be sure that my TFTP server was working fine using other test hosts, etc. This isn't a network configuration issue as far as I can see.)

Any hints? Do I need to set up UART / serial access to proceed from here?

Try downgrading the device firmware.

Also, does the command line have an admin mode you must enter before running those commands?

I've tried downgrading to these versions via Netgear browser interface, same result. It simply doesn't accept the upload:

v7.0.5.2
v7.0.1.16 (oldest).

I'll try downgrading to successively newer versions than 7.0.5.2 and see if one of those will work.

( I should also clarify that I know my browser & network are working fine because when I got this GS110TPP in the mail today, first thing I did was go in and upgrade from ... I'm not sure, but I think it was 7.0.9.11, to the current version 7.0.19.19 -- which went just fine.)

Re: CLI admin mode, it does, and to the best of my knowledge I was able to activate that by following instructions in the official Netgear "Smart_Switches_CLI_Manual_EN.pdf" that I downloaded from Netgear. I was able to activate other privileged commands such as switching which of the two firmware images was active, for example.