I wish to buy a new wireless router, which supports OpenWrt very well. I will describe my requirements and I hope you can suggest a good router which can meet these requirements and at the same time, be future proof so that it can support upgrades for some time.
- Multiple LAN ports supporting Gigabit ethernet
- Wireless 2.4 GHz/5 GHz support. It should support at least AC750 standard.
- Should have at least 1 USB port (Support for additional port would be even better).
- 128 MB RAM/ 128 MB Flash (Not sure what is optimal for my usage)
What I plan to use it for?
- Internet access for work (laptop connected via ethernet)
- Connecting PS4/TV to internet via wireless LAN
- VPN client, to connect to work VPN
- Running BitTorrent client
- File server support (Ext HDD connected to USB port)
- Support for 4G/LTE dongle or USB tethering with Android phone (to serve as fallback internet connection)
- There might be more uses as I like to tinker a bit...
Internet connection setup
Currently, I have ADSL broadband connection and I use a modem. I will bridge the modem and dial in from the router (using PPPoE). Even if I move to fiber broadband, this setup will continue.
I was looking at ASUS RT-AC58U but I think it is plagued by several issues/crashes.