Need people testing ipq40xx DSA PR

Hi @PolynomialDivision, I could test the image for the AVM Fritz!Repeater 3000.

1 Like

Thanks I will do the conversion and mention you here again.

1 Like

@p.p I added here the PR. I'm building now an image and upload it there, with wifi default enabled. I'm not sure if this conversion is correct like that. If wifi is enabled, you can still connect via wifi and flash back the old image. You have to flash it without keeping the configuration, because of the DSA switch. Before flashing it, can you post the mac addresses of the oem firmware so we can check if they are correct later? Or if you don't have oem firmware, than maybe the current openwrt version.

Here is the link: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/files/11314310/repeater3000.zip

Or if you can, just boot initramfs.
For reference: Here is a picture of the backside. You can clearly see that the ports are labeld lan1 and lan2.

Thanks, I'll test flash it tomorrow. I only have the current OpenWrt version available for checking (this is a device in use, but I can spare it of for some time). What data should I look at specifically (before flashing), just the MAC addresses?

1 Like

Is here anyone who has a GL.iNet GL-S1300? I also added a PR for it:

This done btw. Thanks @PolynomialDivision :smiling_face:

1 Like

Snapshot has been build and works just fine. But it's not listed in the firmware selector yet...

1 Like

Mhm, looking up the MAC addresses for the physical LAN ports seems to be harder than I expected. How would go about that in OpenWrt 22.03?

You can use

ip link

for that in the ssh session. Does the image work in general?

I have not yet flashed it, wanted to note the MAC addresses on 22.03 first. ip link only shows me a single MAC address for the eth0 device, not one for each LAN port. I can find two MAC addresses in the device tree, but I've really got no idea what those really refer to (I can retrieve the actual addresses using the get_mac_binary function I gleaned from the wiki, the gmac0 adress is the same as that returned for eth0):

/proc/device-tree/soc/edma@c080000/gmac0/mac-address
/proc/device-tree/soc/edma@c080000/gmac0/local-mac-address
/proc/device-tree/soc/edma@c080000/gmac1/local-mac-address

Well, I was feeling lucky so I flashed the image. I didn't see a SSID, but I was able to connect using LAN port 1 (port 2 did not work). ip link shows the eth0 device as well as two ports now lan1@eth0 and lan2@eth0. Both show the same MAC address (the same as gmac0 in the device tree from the swconfig firmware).

However only lan1@eth0 appears to be functional. Plugin in a second device into LAN 2 does not register with the kernel or change what is reported by ip link.

Looking at the PR, I think &swport3 is the wrong internal "address" for for LAN 2, swconfig dev switch0 show|grep link gave me this output on the old firmware, with port 4 corresponding to LAN 1 and port 5 to LAN 2:

link: port:0 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow 
	link: port:1 link:down
	link: port:2 link:down
	link: port:3 link:down
	link: port:4 link:up speed:100baseT full-duplex auto
	link: port:5 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex auto

Anything I should try before going back to my working 22.03 build, @PolynomialDivision?

Can you give me your /etc/config/wireless? I would like to know why you don't see an OpenWrt SSID.

I'm just building a new image with the correct ports. Could you test again? Do you want to give me your Tested-by: NAME <EMAIL> (mine would be Nick Hainke <vincent@systemli.org>) ? https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/submitting-patches.html#using-reported-by-tested-by-reviewed-by-suggested-by-and-fixes
You don't have to, but it's always helpful in case we need someone to test something again and we can just write an email.

@p.p Here is the new image: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/files/11326893/repeater3000.zip

However, maybe send me your wireless config before. So you still have backup wireless connectivity.

There is no /etc/config/wireless after flashing the image, so that's why it did not set up SSID. Not sure why it was not included in the image (also ath10k said it could not fetch a board file, not sure if that's normal).

I just flashed the new images, both LAN ports work as expected now. Still no /etc/config/wireless of course, so LAN only. I'll set up a suitable mail alias tomorrow.

1 Like

You don't have to. Just for giving you also credits that you tested. If you don't want, I won't add you. :wink:

Can you give me logread output? I would like to see why no wifi config is generated. Sounds strange. :S

Logread from when, immediately after reset/reboot? I've already flashed 22.03 again for tonight, but I can try again tomorrow.

Yes. :slight_smile: Thanks for doing all the testing.

I'm not entirely sure why people are so keen on testing the conversion on repeaters, it'll just completely break roaming and add an additional delay of several minutes until data is forwarded if a client was previously "seen" on another network interface of the router/access point. So the classic 2-AP-Scenario will no longer work until that issue is addressed.... People testing that should be made aware of this known bug.

I'd be glad for every ipq40xx device that isn't converted yet as I don't have to revert the conversion before building an image for those devices.