Need Help with configuration

I'm very unfamiliar with how this is all done, so I'd like to apologize in advance for being a complete idiot when dealing with this stuff, sorry.

I'm using an Asus RT-ACRH13, but the default naming scheme is the RT-AC58U because apparently they're the same thing. I got this router specifically because I was suffering from extreme bufferbloat issues with the grade "F" on dslreports.com speed test. I have high ping in games all the time and I saw that OpenWrt seems to fix this issue. I've got OWrt installed on the router but I've hit a bit of a roadblock.

I used this page:https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-ac58u , and followed the "Easy Installation". I'm not sure if I started off wrong right off the bat by not opening my case and connecting the serial cable. I just saw the easy installation and assumed I didn't need to do the other steps. I only got as far as step 4 before I had issues. " Delete jffs2 partition by using SSH on 192.168.1.1, login as root/no password and enter umount /mnt/ubi0_5 (in case the partition is mounted) and then ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 -N jffs2". I have no idea where I'm supposed to "enter" the umount /mnt/ubi0_5 line. After failing to find anywhere that lets me input that, I went to step 5. I assume this is where my problems start.

When I go to this page: http://lede-ac58u.zyxmon.org/HowToFlashENG.html , for more details, I see the exact error I'm getting. The, " The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform" error. So I know that is where I'm hitting my roadblock. If I didn't open the case and connect the serial cable, am I even able to do this step? Or is it not included with the "Easy Installation"? I tried installing the sqm and got an "incompatible with configuration" error. Googling on that led me find out that more than likely settings wouldn't stick if I restarted the router, and yep, wireless network and dhcp changes I made did not stick. What do I do from here? I'm very confused and there is no clear tutorials on this subject as far as I can see. I'm not sure if there is a better router I can buy that would make this easier, but I have no issues returning this and getting something else. What should I do?

This is a relatively complex install for a new user.

Take a look at the gl-inet b1300 it's cheaper, comes with a version of OpenWrt installed, and trivial to install latest update

Most of all, it comes with sufficient amounts of RAM (256 MB), rather than the 128 MB of the rt-ac58u - which are not sufficient for a device with two ath10k based radios.

Thank you for the prompt response. I probably should have spent more time doing research before buying this, but I had no idea how involved this was. I'm looking at buying the gl inlet right now. My other concern is upgrading to the gig speed they offer here. Will this router support gig speeds?

Gigabit routing esp with SQM requires lots of CPU. I recommend the RPi4 for that and an access point. Like tp-link eap225.