Need a mastodon social media account

most services and opensource projects are now in mastodon and mastodon is the new twitter hence having a mastodon instance in mastodon from openwrt really makes sense can you make it.

1 Like

Isn't that logic a bit like stating something like: I like coffee and so the moon is blue?

And isn't mastodon just an echo chamber for raving liberals? Or do conservatives use it too?

In any case, I'm not sure what it would mean for OpenWrt to have such an account. Would it be to tweet (toot? - oh man) releases of firmware or what?

Admittedly I've never been on Twitter or anything like that so I don't have any experience of it myself, but it seems to be a sort of platform for expressing opinions rather than facilitating exchange of technical ideas and concepts (for which the present platform with this forum and IRC seems perfect).

3 Likes

What is mastadon?
What services?
Which opensource projects and how many projects does it exist on this planet?

And are the people cranky there if we say the internet is dangerous and then we get kicked out and is blocked as trolls, as usual in social media?

Actually, no.

Just because some Open Source software exists and is actually used, it does not need to be ported to a router operating system. Especially when you can get a user account on one of the thousands of already exiting mastodon servers.

BTW, one of the reasons why application software should not be ported to a router operating system is security. If you actually run in on a router, uit can open an unguessable number of security holes.

I'm confused about this request... Is the OP asking:

a) for a Mastodon server package to be developed for OpenWrt?
or
b) for the OpenWrt project to have a presence on the Mastodon social network?

In case a, I would agree with @lupe that running such a server on OpenWrt just seems like an odd combination -- even if you have a sufficiently powerful router with lots of storage (such as x86), it would be better to run it behind OpenWrt and/or on a VM instead of within OpenWrt itself.

For case b, IMO, the OpenWrt project doesn't need a social media presence... it has done well with the official OpenWrt website/forum and mailing lists for all official stuff, and user content here and on other related user groups (such as on reddit and other places). I also think it is unlikely that the OpenWrt project would have much activity on social media given that the project probably isn't going to be amplifying posts from all the other things in the world (be it politics, fashion, sports, world news, or even other open source projects)... but this is just my opinion.

Ultimately, an official presence on any social media platform(s) would be the domain of the leadership team to determine if they want to use those systems and how they would engage.

6 Likes

I created a bot that pushes postings from the "Releases and Security announcements" board here to the fediverse, based on the RSS feed from here.

@openrouterman

4 Likes

Most linux distro projects now have a awesome mastodon account and also most opensource projects. having it helps users to know about when new update is going to be published and many more like which new device we have support for and some on other will. Also know about this project. And so on.

There's an echo in here.

1 Like

Why don't you just make one and see if it becomes poular

There's an echo in here.

1 Like

@ pfSense@mastodon.social
@ fsf@hostux.social
@ i2p@mastodon.social
@ torproject@mastodon.social
@ nixos_org@chaos.social
@ centos@fosstodon.org
@ opensuse@fosstodon.org
@ mullvadnet@mastodon.online
@ libreoffice@fosstodon.org
@ protonmail@mastodon.social
@ nextcloud@mastodon.xyz
@ xfce@floss.social
@ fedora@fosstodon.org
@ brave@mastodon.social
@ fsfe@mastodon.social
@ signalapp@mastodon.world
@ GIMP@floss.social
@ fdroidorg@floss.social
@ rockylinux@fosstodon.org
@ alpinelinux@fosstodon.org
@ gnome@floss.social
@ kde@floss.social

And soo on ....so why not have a official channel

Noo why i will make another

Someone have done that

Yea, it is.

Hi I run the OpenWrt help twitter. When I have time I will make a mastodon account. https://twitter.com/openwrth?lang=en
I all so setup the OpenWrt Discord server. https://discord.gg/kDDjJCxcHU

I am just a OpenWrt fan and not involved with OpenWrt it's self!
There is all so this but not ran by me. https://www.reddit.com/r/openwrt/

1 Like

I know of at least one Thunderbird official looking support room in Mastodon Matrix, which in fact was created singlehandedly by random people, but then these random people (with admin rights) stopped communicating (cause = ?; maybe death?). People from the Thunderbird community have to post in those rooms to move unknowing and confused users to the "official Thunderbird community support" rooms. If OpenWrt ever were to move to Mastodon Matrix, it would be good to have room handover mechanisms (e.g. have multiple admins) in place.

That said, I am not a fan of splitting up communication across multiple platforms. People posting across platforms leads to "double posting". It's already prevalent enough in the forum / github / e-mails. I always think: Have the people I am adressing this to have read the forum post? Do I have to post it here again at Github? Or the other way round. Do I have to post in the forum what I have seen at Github? etc.

1 Like

Regarding the title of this topic: no, you don't.

2 Likes

I all so setup the OpenWrt Discord server. https://discord.gg/kDDjJCxcHU

I refuse to give out any information without first looking at what you have created, OpenWrt is open source make your site open and available to anyone who wishes to look at it without singeing up and agreeing your or anyone else's terms

I have seen fanboy sites like this before they usually devolve into something that has nothing to do with the original idea, Most of the time I see these sites turn into talks about how much drugs the user's use.

I cannot consider myself a "owner", "maintainer", or "developer" here; but, if I was one, I would not be amused to hear about "somebody else" using the name of "my" project for a non-affiliated social media channel.

1 Like

There is some form of endorsement for unofficial channels here:

Here is how I see it.

OpenWrt is just a project reflecting a collaborative effort of various individuals. The edges are pretty fuzzy.

Suppose a child makes a sand castle. The sand castle becomes Project Castle. Word spreads throughout the beach. And other children join in and make little additions here and there. All of those little additions become a part of Project Castle.

As such, arguably efforts such as those undertaken by @tapper to help others use OpenWrt form a part of OpenWrt.

1 Like