NanoPi R4S-RK3399 is a great new OpenWrt device

hi,

attended sysupgrade says:
The device runs the latest firmware version 22.03.5 - r20134-5f15225c1e

how can i update to 23.05 from attended sysupgrade?
thanks

What I did was:

1. Enable "Advanced" configuration in Attended Sysupgrade
  2. Go attempt an AUC again
  3. Change the release (in LUCI at the top of the popup) to 23.05
  4. Remove any wolfssl packages (this is replaced with mbedtls in 23.05)
  5. Request a build

If things fail (e.g., I had luci-i18n-something fail for me), remove them from the package list and try again.

Just confirming that the default Ethernet RX/TX flow is off by default in 23.05.0 (while in 22.03.5 it was auto-negotiated).

I've managed to revert to previous behavior by installing ethtool and creating the file /etc/hotplug.d/iface/06-ethenableflowcontrol with the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
logger "enabling-eth-flow-control-from-hotplug"
ethtool -A eth0 autoneg on rx on tx on
ethtool -A eth1 autoneg on rx on tx on
2 Likes

Thanks. I got to #3 and took a listing of “wolfssl” installed packages…

libwolfssl5.5.4.ee39414e
libustream-wolfssl20201210
luci-ssl
px5g-wolfssl

Should i delete these 4?

Do you know if this has been changed by design? Does this need to be reported as an issue?

To be honest I don't know if it is by design or an issue.

I would expect that the auto-negotiation should be enabled by default, but before reporting it as an issue we should have some dev to confirm the expected behavior.

I've already posted in the 23.05.0 stable release topic, but I've got no response so far:

1 Like

@rexbinary I think you can keep luci-ssl, as it'll get upgraded to a new version that doesn't depend on wolfssl. That's more-or-less the list I had, so you can delete those other items in your list (X them out in the LUCI AUC GUI, for example) then request a build of 23.05. It'll pull in mbedtls and update luci-ssl and the like that depend on it.

After dreading it for a while I went off of the WalmartShopper build and onto official rc5 build. All seems to work okay. fast.com shows ~gigabit speed down. Backed up through luci just in case but did a fresh install of rc5.

Had some issues with my Ubiquiti dumb AP only providing ~50 Mbps on a gigabit line (normally get 400+ on wifi) but that's fixed. You never know what causes that stuff.

Haven't done any of the QoS or traffic shaping fancy stuff since it's mostly a single-user setup right now.

Finally updated to 23.05, thanks.

Only hiccup was attended sysupgrade was stuck on

"Installing the sysupgrade. Do not unpower device!"

Maybe a stupid question, do we need the "br-lan" bridge on the R4S, since it only has one Lan port?
Does it make a difference if I delete it and use "eth1" instead of "br-lan"?

You might want it for VLAN's, e.g., guest, IOT, etc.?

But I'm using unmanaged switch connected to LAN port.

Depends on your use case, but it effectively makes no difference. I did so on the RPi back when and it worked fine.

Since the update to 23.05 (aka 5.15 kernel), I'm not seeing my PL2303 serial adapter detected. It worked fine pre-upgrade, and currently I have usbserial and pl2303 kernel mods loaded, but the adapter doesn't even show up in lsusb.

Anyone else having issues with USB devices post-upgrade on the R4S before I go spelunking ?

I had to install kmod-usb3 to mount a usb-stick after upgrading to 23.05.0

FYI … built and installed a fresh master snapshot with kernel 6.1 yesterday. Up and running without issues for more than 24 hours.

I’m a little bit confused about the RK3399 Hardware encryption built into the SOC

When I configure OpenVPN and test OpenSSL performance (openssl engine -t -c) it says software for most things ?

Shouldn’t it be hardware ?

Even after installing libopenssl-devcrypto it still says software for the majority of things ?

I was just wondering if installing libopenssl-devcrypto is correct for this device ?

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/cryptographic.hardware.accelerators (Been following this guide not sure if it’s outdated)

Also noticed on 23.05.0 USB support is having issues.
For example sometimes USB will not show up on boot and no mounting command can fix it only a reboot

My Crucial X6 is a UAS supported drive so I have the relevant packages to boot it and it works perfectly in 22.03.5

Another issue is Docker doesn’t survive sudden power outages. After reboot only the Configuration tab would appear in Luci. 22.03.5 survived just fine, the only way to fix it for me is flashing the image again to SD card.

For those interested, below is a routing performance test comparing NanoPi R4S and NanoPi R5S with and without SQM.

Apart from enabling "Software Flow Offloading," all OpenWrt settings were at their default values.

What I found odd is that with cake / piece_of_cake, the download speed was limited by the CPU, but only one core was at 100% (the other cores had low usage or were idle). I believe that OpenWrt's SQM may not be multithreaded, which would explain this behavior.

3 Likes

Have you tried installing irqbalance?

CAKE is single threaded. Back when I used a 2C/4T ER-X as my gateway, fq_codel/simple was a huge improvement in throughput over CAKE. It was pretty clear from htop what was going on: fq_codel could use more than one thread, CAKE could not.

I'm surprised to see download below Gigabit line rate on the R4S in your test. There are many reports of the R4S handling gigabit CAKE SQM fine. Here is just one from searching this thread for "CAKE" and "SQM". I've not tracked it down, but I also recall another user reporting their R5S (or R5C) handled Gigabit download with CAKE.

Were you running upload and download concurrently (full duplex) by chance?

1 Like