Nanopi R2S + AP?

So it appears that the Nanopi R2S is now available. With 2 gigabit Ethernet ports (one of which is via USB 3.0), quad-core A53, 1 GB of RAM, 1 USB 2.0 port plus a case, for a mere price of $35 (except that one would need to buy a MicroSD card and get a 2A USB adapter.

Does this sound like a good hardware for router? Are there any better alternatives in the price range for typical house setup, accompanied by some mid-level AP?]

Edit: It appears that the price is $25 including the case.

It's a shame the USB port is only USB 2!! It could make a good cheap media server.

i'm also interested on the NanoPi R2S.
I am looking to replace my xiaomi router with something more powerfull in order to run a https proxy, and multiple other service.
i am lost between all the avaible options.
X86 qotom style multi etherne vs thin station with a pci port to add a ethernet card (available in eu) vs
pcengine vs nespressobin vs NanoPi R2S

Well, if you are considering an x86 then R2S isn't the most powerful ARM SBC alternative; you could now get a RPi 4 with 2GB of RAM for $35, plus a case and a USB ethernet. @dlakelan had positive experience with a TP Link adapter, and you can read about the numbers on the forum.

If budget is of concern then the R2S could be the best option in that form factor, for about $25 including case I think, but I read they released it without WLAN (not that you would worry about that much in this use case), but it just doesn't put some limitations on other uses).

1 Like

I would go with old laptop (mobo + power supply) + secondary lan (usb or mini pci instead of wifi card)

Too much unnecessary power consumption.

1 Like

not actually that much, 10-15 watts

dual lan N3160 are available for +-100 euro @aliexpress.
It's a quadcore cpu 6wtdp

If you are referring to the fanless (all aluminum) mini PCs, i got one of those with i5 5th gen and dual lan, was rocking it for a while with two mini pcie wlans (the AC was QCA9880) with the idea to get a wave2 one later on, however it died, so I'm planning a new setup. However you can get a dirty cheap laptop with broken screen, plastics etc and some decent AP. Anyway everybody has their opinion on the things, for me the SBCs (i have one of those too) aren't worth it and i was considering Banana Pi R2, it has MT7623N and sata.