Nanoleaf Light Panels

Hi guys!

I found suprisingly little information about the Nanoleaf Aurora light panel controller (https://us-shop.nanoleaf.me/products/light-panels-wifi-controller-with-psu-and-ac-cable) so I decided to do a bit of digging myself. Much to my delight I was able to find a UART on the board that would readily send a bootlog at me at 57600 baud.

Much to my surprise, this board already runs OpenWRT!

## Booting image at bc050000 ...                                                                                                                                                                                                               
.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
   Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.18.18                                                                                                                                                                                                    
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)                                                                                                                                                                                     
   Data Size:    1087989 Bytes =  1 MB                                                                                                                                                                                                         
   Load Address: 80000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
   Entry Point:  80000000    

Hardware seems to be RT5350 with 32M RAM and 16M flash.

Boot log:
https://asciinema.org/a/ShLJvY9FvtGwFrJa4IXLaoBxN

Board pic:

Unfortunately I am unable to get into the shell as it is requesting a password.
nmap cannot find any open ports on the IP the device gets and logging in is password secured.

I tried getting in via U-Boot by modifying the boot commandline but U-Boot doesn't seem to be able to save anything that follows after a space into the env.

https://asciinema.org/a/CTbJacjHSPUUWme0HdUgvk0b8

Any ideas what could be done here? :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot guys.

P.S.: I was unable to find any GPL-compliant info from Nanoleaf. Are they in violation?

This would not surprise me. Linux 3.18 hints at that Qualcomm (QSDK???) OpenWRT derivative that is frankly ancient. There are a lot of cases of companies using QSDK and violating the GPL.

Sadly I’ve yet to find success unlocking the mysteries of this board, neither have I received any responses by the manufacturer to GPL inquiries.

I recently badgered Nanoleaf about this until I got the following answer:

"Our support team has reached out regarding your inquiry.

"Thanks for your patience. OG Rhythm Light Panels are “retired” but we continue to support them through our app indefinitely. Any API information that we do have openly available would be here. Based on our use of GPL, we do not intend to release our source code or a contributor version at this time."

Thank you for understanding."

I don't know why they think it matters that the product I was asking about, the original Aurora panels, is discontinued... or why they keep referring me to their API interface documentation.. but, the last sentence is the "fsck off we don't care." one..

While I super don't want to give them any more money knowing what I know now, I'm almost curious enough to buy one of their new bridges just to figure out whether they changed their software stack at all.