Multiple OpenWrt dumb APs with guest WLAN

I'm setuping my new home with dumb OpenWRT access point. I want to achieve the following:

Modem (Hitron CODA-4680 with passthrough) -> Router with DHCP and Firewall (Cisco RV042G) -> Multiple dumb OpenWRT APs with 802.11r (fast-roaming)

I want the APs to have a guess WLAN that won't be able to access to other devices on the network. I know there is a tutorial to do so, but the latter is adding a Firewall rules and DHCP server for the guess Wi-Fi on the APs. However, since I would like to have multiple dumb APs, I would rather like to have the DHCP on my Cisco router. Anyone have an idea on how I could achieve something like that?

TIA

The idea is that you use a second VLAN for the guest network. The dumb APs don't need any IP address in the guest network, which allows you to configure it with proto "none".

How are you going to connect your APs to main router? If in wired mode, it is 'Dumb AP'.

The idea is that you use a second VLAN for the guest network. The dumb APs don't need any IP address in the guest network, which allows you to configure it with proto "none".

Not sure how to do it since I also want to have a private Wi-Fi on each of those AP. The VLAN part will have to be done on the Cisco Router I guess?

How are you going to connect your APs to main router? If in wired mode, it is 'Dumb AP'.

Each 'Dump AP' will indeed be hard wired to the router.

Yes both the router and all APs need to be connected to the VLANs

Yes both the router and all APs need to be connected to the VLANs

However, since both private and public (guess) WLAN network will be on the APs, I would need to add the port connected to those AP to both the private and the public VLAN (please correct me if I'm wrong) and my router doesn't let me add a port to multiple VLAN. Maybe I'm not getting this right?

Would I have to get my APs double wired to the router so each wire is carying a specifc VLAN data?

You can have a port in multiple VLANs if the packets are tagged. That is the whole point of how VLANs work, sharing multiple networks on one cable. If there is a switch between the router and the APs it should be VLAN aware (managed) but it often works with an unmanaged switch.

1 Like

yes this is the key, on any given port make it either a single untagged VLAN or all of the VLANs tagged.

1 Like

Just found out that my Cisco router is not supporting VLAN trunking:

The RV042G does not support 802.1Q Trunking, so you would need one connection per VLAN.

However I have a Cisco switch (SRW2016) and it seems to support it. I will try all this and get you back. Thanks to everyone!

Source: https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/rv042g-router-inter-vlan/td-p/2504199