i migrated my Openwrt Installation from an Archer C7 to the Linksys MR8300.
Everything works as expected except the mesh point is not encrypted although it is configured like this. (i use wpad-mesh-wolfssl)
Anyone else has the issue with this device?
I am running as a test system, a gl-inet B1300, also an IPQ4019, with no problems, but I use wpad-wolfssl (the full version). Might be worth changing although I have also used wpad-mesh-wolfssl on other devices (I use the full version on this one for other reasons).
There are other threads with same problem and it seemed that iwinfo shows the wrong information and the mesh is really encrypted...
I've the same problem with an ax3600 so very interested to get to the end of this.
I'm running a mesh on a MR8300. No issue.
Running iwinfo I also see encryption: none displayed. I concur with @McGiverGim , it may be simply a wrong info from iwinfo.
EDIT: right now the other mesh point is powered off, so the MR8300 is not linked. So maybe the encryption message only means that the mesh is off. That may sounds silly, but I can't power on the other mesh point right now to check.
I just tried this on my test system. It had 3 meshnodes connected.
I powered the remote meshnodes down, ran wifi command, checked that mesh11sd status was reporting 0 peers, then ran iwinfo.
It still reports: Encryption: WPA3 SAE (CCMP)
I am really thinking it is wpad-mesh-wolfssl that gives iwinfo the incorrect information. As I mentioned earlier, I am using the full version - wpad-wolfssl.
I will have to revert the full wpad to the mesh version and test again - but cannot at the moment as working on it on another project.
Perhaps someone else here can go the other way and see if iwinfo then reports correctly. @McGiverGim@fcc
Another thing that springs to mind is I am NOT using the Ath10k CT drivers, instead using the non-CT versions. The CT version limits to only 16 connections, that is the sum of connected clients and meshnodes on any radio.
Do you have the ipq-wifi-linksys_mr8300-v0 package installed? I don't know if this is relavent.
ipq-wifi-linksys_mr8300-v0 - 1 - The Linksys MR8300 requires board-specific, reference ("cal") data that is not yet present in the upstream wireless firmware distribution. This package supplies board-2.bin file(s) that, in the interim, overwrite those supplied by the ath10k-firmware-* packages. This is package is only necessary for the Linksys MR8300. Do not install it for any other device!
A quick way to test if you actually have an encrypted mesh is to set encryption to "none" instead of "sae" just on one meshnode. If you can still use that node after restarting, encryption is not working on any meshnode.
I have set encryption to none instead of sae as you suggested in your latest message: the link can't be established. Back to SAE setting, it works back, so the link is really encrypted. But iwinfo still report encryption: none
I have tried it today again (incl wpad-wolfssl and non ct firmware).
The system still do not show encryption - BUT the mesh network is working. (I did not tried it as i though something is wrong in my router config)
So it is encrypted as the other nodes are showing encryption.
Lets see if this will be fixed in future releases ;