Monitoring real time hardware usage statistics

Hello everyone,

May I know whether I can monitor the real time RAM, Processor usage AND the device heat and power consumption statistics of the TP Link TD-W9980 V1. The system tools available in the web interface don't have these features. The router supports SNMP, but I need to make sure if the device supports in capturing these parameters via SNMP. And if I did install OpenWrt firmware into this router, will I be able to capture the above parameters ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by real-time? Microseconds, seconds, or minutes?
I assume that you have already installed LuCI statistics?

Luci-app-statistics allows to configure the default monitoring period much shorter than the default 30 seconds. But going to really short stats accounting period will not be practical from CPU usage point.

2 Likes

@hnyman

Thanks for your reply.

No, I haven't installed LuCI statistics, never even knew about a tool as such. In fact, I'm new to OpenWrt and this is the first time I'm going to use it.

I want to capture the usage in the shortest possible inteerval. What do you recommend?
And should the router (TP Link TD-W9980 V1) hardware support this and how would I know if it does or not.

Before I try to install OpenWrt, I'm doing a research whether I can acheive it with OpenWrt.

In a nutshell, my requirement is to capture the hardware usage statistics (RAM, Processor, device heat and power consumption) at the shortest possible (and practical) interval during a certail period (may be for 5,6 hours) to create a dataset for some an analysis purpose.

Do you think I can do this with TP Link TD-W9980 V1, having OpenWrt + any other tools installed in it ?

Do you know any other way I can do this ?

Your advise will be greately appriciated.

Start by installing it. (luci-app-statistics is the package)
And first look at the default functionality there, before asking for more. You can tailor it quite much.

1 Like

You have an 8/64 device. See here: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning#advice

2 Likes

@RuralRoots

"8MB is barely enough (will fit LuCI and some other applications) / 16MB offers more flexibility"

what do you suggest?

Well, 21.02 iirc goes EOL now, so that’s it for updates.

SNMP is definitely stretching it, though luci-statistics/collectd should provide most of what you want with a caveat to @hnyman that real time will likely put it to it’s knees.

Frankly your wish list can be achieved with OpenWrt, but on this device, no.

Not a suggestion, but I would upgrade to a supported device.

Other than that, give it a try and so how it fares in your topology.

2 Likes

This can be easily accomplished installing 'collectd' and the appropriate plugins, transmitting the measurements to a server for storage and analytics. Various programs available then to display statistics or graphs on the server. No need for that LuCI stuff, in case you are happy with display on another machine. The required collectd-modules are not very resource demanding. I guess, 10s interval for the measurements should be possible, may be even less. Depends upon other activities on the tp-link, of course.

@reinerotto

Do you mean that I don't have to install OPenWrt in the TP-Link ?

Your router physically has no temperature sensors, nor any means to estimate its own power consumption.

As mentioned before, your router is on the low end of the spectrum (CPU performance, network performance, flash size and RAM are all -individually- on the slow side of the spectrum), so you have to choose what you care about - getting your router work well with OpenWrt XOR adding bells and whistles to monitor it, at the expense of it running well (or to fit into the flash/ RAM at all). So, yes, I would install OpenWrt on this hardware (although that implies losing its 5 GHz capabilities), but I'd forget about the fancy live stats - you'll see how it behaves without that anyways.

3 Likes

You have to install Openwrt to use collectd. However, it looks like installation is a bit "clumsy" on your device. You migth consider using another one for your purposes. Also, because it is stated, no temp sensor, and not power meter on your router. Power meter I never came across, BTW, so you have to choose carefully.
In case, you only gather stats using collectd, and do the interpretation of the measurements on another machine, no problem with 8/64, your actual router has.