Minor typos on https://openwrt.org/ main page announcement of 18.06.2

I'm not sure where to report this but, I'll try here. It is a bit nit-picky.

The text of the announcement of the availability of 18.06.2 has a couple of minor typos.

1. The English suffix marking an ordinal number terminating in the digit '1' is 'st', with the exception of ordinals of the form 10n+11, where it is 'th', not 'st'. Hence, instead of "January, 31th" it should read "January 31st"
  2. When writing dates in English in the form "<month-name> <ordinal-day-number-in-month>, <year>", there is no comma between the <month-name> and <ordinal-day-number-in-month>. In this case it should instead be between the <ordinal-day-number-in-month> and <year>.

- The current stable version series of OpenWrt is 18.06, with v18.06.2 being the latest service release of the series. It was released on January, 31th 2019.
+ The current stable version series of OpenWrt is 18.06, with v18.06.2 being the latest service release of the series. It was released on January 31st, 2019.

While not important in the grand scheme of things, getting the details wrong in the announcement leads some people to question whether similar, but more important details are incorrect in the actual software.

Note: It used to be the case that the ordinal suffix was superscripted thus: January 31st, however it is no longer necessary, and some style guides actively warn against doing so.

Limentinus

P.S. I acknowledge in advance the rule that any posting describing a spelling, grammatical, or other usage error is mandated to contain at least one such error.

2 Likes