MiniDLNA can not be found in Lan

MiniDLNA was started. The status page can be visited.But I can not found the server on my pc. Here is my config.

option user 'minidlna'
    option port '8200'
    option friendly_name 'OpenWrt DLNA Server'
    option db_dir '/var/run/minidlna'
    option inotify '1'
    option notify_interval '900'
    option serial '12345678'
    option model_number '1'
    option root_container '.'
    option album_art_names 'Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg'
    list media_dir '/mnt/sda1/Download'
    option uuid '991a9bc2-97b2-46fb-896d-025985d83a6b'
    option presentation_url 'http://192.168.11.1/'
    option interface 'br-lan'
    option enabled '1'

I had try to change interface to br-lan or eth1. But it do not work.

On your OpenWRT device go to the MiniDLNA menu and at the top of the page you should see something like "miniDLNA is active and serving ...files.....". If this message is not available then you need to check your config first. There is not much to config other than specify the media directory which must be preceded by an A, V, P

e.g...

A,/mnt/sda1/Download/mp3/
V,/mnt/sda1/Download/mp4/
P,/mnt/sda1/Download/jpg/

If your config on the AP is good (i.e. miniDLNA says it is active and serving x number of files) then test that the service is available over your LAN by pressing Windows Key + R and type in CMD and enter to get the command prompt then enter:

telnet 8200

If DLNA is working you will see a blank screen and you can hit enter multiple times to force close the session. If telnet gives an error connecting you have a firewall issue either on your AP or your Windows firewall on your desktop.

1 Like

Thansk for reply.I can visit the status page and telnet port 8200 on PC.But the minidlna server is still invisible on PC and TV.

Here is response for telnet.

HTTP/1.1 501 Not Implemented
Content-Type: text/html
Connection: close
Content-Length: 149
Server:  DLNADOC/1.50 UPnP/1.0 MiniDLNA/1.3.0
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:08:26 GMT
EXT:

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>501 Not Implemented</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>Not Implemented</H1>The HTTP Method is not implemented by this server.</BODY></HTML>

your miniDLNA service is working fine.

your TV must support DLNA. If you are sure it supports DLNA then it should automatically discover the miniDLNA server.

For your PC download and install VLC player then open VLC player and click on browse network. VLC should automatically discover the miniDLNA service and you can click on your mp4 or mp3 files to play them in VLC. If VLC is able to discover the service then your TV is not DLNA capable.

on VLC press CTRL-L and select Universal PNP. It will automatically search for your DLNA server.

My TV can found the DLNA server which was set up on my PC.But it still can not found server on my router.And the server also can not be found on VLC.

I believe your miniDLNA server on the router is working and accessible.

is your TV and PC on the same IP address space and subnet i.e. br-lan address space? Is it getting the DHCP address from the router ?

This is the network topology of my home.

have you made holes in the fw for the traffic to get to the 11 subnet, from the 31?
and why double NAT, in the 1st place ?

yeah ok now that makes sense why your TV and PC can't see the miniDLNA service on the router. I don't know the exact specifications of DLNA but I think it limits its service discovery to the same IP address space and subnet. I don't think DLNA is even routable so you can't try to route it to another address space.

The immediate solution is to move your PC and TV into the 192.168.11.0/24 address space. If 192.168.31.1 is simply acting as a repeater then try to configure the repeater into the 192.168.11.0/24 address space which will solve your issue.

1 Like

... or swap them, put the 11 router closest to the clients.

Thanks for your advice! I will try it later.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.