Mesh network with Linksys E8450 on 5g

I installed Openwrt Version OpenWrt 22.03.1 r19777-2853b6d652 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.245.77528-487e58a on 2 E8450 routers. I was attempting to get Mesh networking working and configured in on the 5g radios. The 2 nodes would not connect. I changed the Mesh networking to the 2.4 G radio and the nodes connected just fine.

I also put an access point on the 5g radios and this worked fine, just no Mesh connection. I rebooted both routers and no luck.

Is there some radio problem with these routers that causes Mesh to not work, or should I post my configuration that doesn't work?

Thanks for any help

I am using a Linksys E7350, which I set up following the tutorial for Meshnetting / dumb access points in OpenWRT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoZppb_FR0) and I only deviated by using the 5G network for the backbone and my routers were able to see each other in the "Associated Stations" section in Luci, but they would absolutely not communicate. I think if I were to switch to 2.4 GHz as well, it might work for me, but I am going to try something else first.

I know that's not super informative; I'm just chiming in so people can see that this might affect the E7350 as well.