Managed switch doesn’t show up in the network

I bought a managed Netgear eth switch ( GS108E) that works perfectly but I’m unable to manage it.

The ip of it should be 192.168.0.239, my LAN network is 192.168.1 and my WAN modem is on 192.168.2 so it’s normal that I unable to see it. But since my dhcp config start from 192.168.1.100, why the switch hasn’t get the ip in this range? And why I can’t see it anywhere inside my network?
In the end I have to add an iptables rule only to view it on the 192.168.0 area?

Thanks

Is the switch connected to the 192.168.1.x LAN?

If yes, then you either have to set a static IP address in the range 192.168.1.x manually on your Netgear switch, or turn on DHCP client on the switch so the DHCP server can assign a new 192.168.1.x IP address to the switch.

If the switch is not attached to the 192.168.1.x LAN, please provide more information. A diagram might be helpful.

3 Likes

Ok thanks, yes my idea was to avoid to connect to it with a ethernet cable, because at the moment I have only a laptop, for that I asked, I'm a bit lazy :smiley: fortunately I found an iPad with the ethernet adapter and I've done with it :grin:

I wonder why Netgear don't set the .1 LAN or (better) the DHCP by default :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

fwiw, installation guides quote

If your switch is not connected to a DHCP server, use the default IP: 192.168.0.239

Did you press the 'Factory Default' button if this switch was previously used and perhaps may have been misconfigured.

Updating the firmware on the switch is only other suggestion if there is a bug?

2 Likes

No, it was new, I didn't reset it, yes maybe a bug in the firmware!

Anyway, solved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.