Mac address isn't changed A unique value

hello!
I'm in trouble since router itself does not behave at arbitrary MAC address.I tried rewriting the router's MAC address in several ways.

The way you tried so far
1:I accessed 192.168.1.1 with google chrome and rewritten the MAC address of LEDE->Network->Interface->WAN Edit->Advanced setting->Client ID and Vendor class.
2: I accessed 192.168.1.1 with terminal of mac and added "option macaddr 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX' " . The place I wrote "config interface 'wan' " in /etc/config/network.
3: I used the following command.
ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
ifconfig eth1 up

Ways 1 and 2 tried reboot but there was no change. Way 3 can not be accessed using command "ifconfig eth1 down". I couldn't see the change when I use "ifconfig" to check the MAC address in router and "arp -a" to check the MAC address in PC.

Thanks in advance!

fwiw, for method '2', check the 2nd digit Y in the mac address XY:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is an even number. eg. 0, 2, 4 etc. Otherwise, it will be ignored if it is a odd number.

1 Like

Thank you for replying bill888 !.
There was a change with your advice.The MAC address of eth0.2 has changed when I run ifconfig by making a change to "option macaddr XY:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX".

I have 2 questions.
Is the mac address of the router looking from outside changed?
(The expression "The router looking from outside " is the MAC address of the blue socket of the router as seen from the WAN.)
Please allow me to ask questions like this because I do not know how to check the MAC address seen from the outside.

Thanks in advance!

If ip link shows the desired MAC address for br-wan then it should be the MAC address seen by someone "on the wire" connected to the "blue" socket (for a normal OpenWRT configuration).

Thank you for replying jeff !.

When confirmed with ifconfig and google chrome, change of MAC address was confirmed.
Thank you bill888 and jeff !

1 Like

Are you able to install packages? opkg install macchanger for instance?

ifconfig eth0.2 down
macchanger -r eth0.2
ifconfig eth0.2 up

yes, the MAC address is changed on the WAN interface when viewed from WAN side of interface.

fwiw, on my HH5a, I had the issue where the WAN interface generated a different MAC address every time the router was power cycled. When it is wired to the LAN of my main router, the WAN interface when configured as a 'DHCP client' had the undesirable effect of acquiring a different DHCP IP address every time the HH5a was restarted. Using 'option macaddr' resolved the problem.