LXC in OpenWRT, unable to create a custom image

Hi,

I am asking this question after reading through the OpenWRT Wiki, some questions answered here in the forum, trying out myself on both Debian and Ubuntu platforms.

I am new to OpenWRT and my first requirement is to Install OpentWRT in a VirtualMachine (VirtualBox) and create some linux containers (LXCs) in it.

My questions are:

1. Which LXC & Kernel options i should choose in make_menuconfig to get the required image?
  2. Is it must to use make kernel_menuconfig to select LXC options like cgroups and namespaces? The moment I run the make kernel_menuconfig command, make process starts and it runs for about an hour and fails. I am not getting the applet to select options.

Could you please help me.

Thanks,
Strive

if your using master there have been some major kernel bumps so... yeah, most of the existing threads/docs may have to be tweaked...

while it's a little bit of a pain... the best thing to do is

• compile a vanilla x64 on snapshot/master...
  • make menuconfig ( and add lxc packages + optset ) + recompile
  • boot it in a vm and checkconfig... then keep adding stuff one by one ( typically in make kernel_menuconfig )

Anticipate teething issues, as said, from either kernel ver... or package staleness ( create scripts mostly )... possibly worth it for some edge cases on a well resourced device needing some bespoke app...( and you have some requisite skills ) but in terms of a robust option it is not ( dropping back to 19 or 18 might be necessary if the packages themselves aren't playing nice )

You will however get some decent knowledge of the buildroot system by such an undertaking... ( and you'd be keeping the broader community up to date-ish )

OpenWrt "within" LXC is alot more viable / production worthy...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.