Luci fails to start, openwrt_s905x3_k5.4.158_2021.11.12.1717

Fresh install of 21.02.1 on an X96 Air Android TV box. OpenWRT running on USB stick. Accessing the web interface gives a Bad Gateway error.

Running /www/cgi-bin-luci over ssh results in the following:

I've tried creating an empty directory /tmp/luci-indexcache with no difference to the result. Deleting it again also makes no difference.

I suspect there may be an issue with luci.cacheloader, but I don't know where to find it, or whether it is text or binary. I have NO lua experience. Googling doesn't return anything that looks like a solution.

Is anyone able to help me out please?

can you see any files/folders beginning with the name luci in /tmp?

1 Like

Yes.

What are you actually trying to do?
LuCI is not that kind of daemon executable. The www server uhttpd is running and serves pages by calling cgi.
Uhttpd is the permanent process.

Your debugging attempts look strange to me.

One proposal is to use a different browser in order to eliminate browser cache related errors. (Sometimes browsers are too sticky with contents)

Are you sure that your box is the only device at 192.168.1.1? (Or have you changed the IP for the box?)

I'm walking on a limb, but I'd venture that you aren't using OpenWrt at all, but rather some bastardized OEM firmware which might have borrowed parts of OpenWrt.

• OpenWrt has (little- to) no relation with Android
  • OpenWrt doesn't support any Amlogic s905x3 SOC
  • OpenWrt has little to offer in terms of GUIs, mediaplayers or other features that would make up a "TV box"

in which case the following applies:

Your post does not appear to be related to an officially released OpenWrt version, package or supported operation.

It is unlikely that you will receive useful input here.

Please seek advise from the relevant maintainer.

1 Like

Open the web interface on a remote device. Hence "Bad Gateway" error.

One suggestion I found was to run the script /www/cgi-bin/luci on the host. Which I've done by plugging in keyboard and screen, and also via ssh from the laptop that I want to log in to the web interface from.

Cat-ing the script /www/cgi-bin/luci was an attempt to find upstream scripts to see if I could trace back to the source of the problem.

Did I mention that I can ssh to the box across my LAN?

I meant more like OpenWrt-installation-wise.
Normal OpenWrt release image in the box?
The box is supported by OpenWrt? Not a third-party hack?
(Like slh already questioned above...)

Yeah, I am just thinking for possible reasons why the browser does not open LuCI pages, if the box has proper IP and there is no IP conflict, and you have a normally installed LuCI (part of release image).

One reason is that the browser goes avry with cached contents from some other 192.168.1.1 device.

Other possibilities are maybe something wrong with your extroot, (as I saw extroot mentioned in the directory listing),

The hardware and software as supplied make an Android TV box. I'm installing OpenWRT on it to REPLACE Android and use the hardware AS A ROUTER.

As for Amlogic support, see below.

I did change the IP address. Significantly. Like 192.168.253.201

you should ask the maintainer of that repo, not us, we don't know what's been done with the openwrt the images are based on.

That part of your response is correct, at least.

Not sure what you're on about TBH. It's OpenWRT isn't it?

It's based on openwt, it might not be openwrt - Luci fails to start, openwrt_s905x3_k5.4.158_2021.11.12.1717 - #5 by slh

it's Linux isn't it ? Ask Linus T.

A snarky response like that really isn’t necessary. The point is that we (volunteers knowledgeable about the official openwrt builds) cannot provide support for highly modified and customized versions of OpenWrt because we don’t know what has been changed and how it is supposed to work. To think of it another way, if you replaced the standard combustion engine in your car with a jet engine and took it to the dealership, they would tell you to talk to the people who installed the jet engine.

3 Likes
  1. If you think that's snarky...

2. I had no idea that what's on Github wasn't "official" OpenWRT. And I have no effing idea how to "ask the maintainer", let alone who the maintainer is.

So I'll wait a couple of days to see if anyone with knowledge of how to find and contact a Github maintainer gives me some constructive advice, then I'll cancel my account and piss off.

the maintainer's https://github.com/ophub
there's an Issues button on the main page of the repository ( https://github.com/ophub/amlogic-s9xxx-openwrt )

3 Likes