Low Wi-Fi speed

It should also be noted that people on the "wrong" forum have everything working on exactly the same devices as mine, except that they may have nothing better to do than come up with imaginary results.

i do not get that? 4g? anyway single outdoor antenna is siso, an outdoor device will be mimo, huge difference. but i do not understand 4g here? is your usb adapter a 4G dongle or a wireless one?

I'm sorry, perhaps there are some translation difficulties. What I meant was that this antenna provides a good stable signal through an external adapter, but the router distributes it with extremely low speed.

Here is an antenna
IMG_20230429_102233_322

i still do not understand. do you use that antenna for an access point or you use it to connect to another hotspot? that looks like an omnidirectional antenna.

This is a directional antenna that connects to a remote WiFi network.

ok, how about price? is that 2.4 ghz? can you share some info? never see that antenna.
still a siso sistem, sent i back if you can, and take a look at mikrotik, or ubiquiti devices supported by wrt.

In dollars, about 20-25, depending on the number of sections

Could you please share the links to these device models or at least write the full name?

that's a 2.4 ghz, it's a good device if the speed is under 100 mb/s

1 Like

Without a doubt, it's a cool thing! But the price is a bit higher than 20 dollars), although it's probably worth it.

how far is the ap that you connect?

500-600 meters

This is well outside the range of most traditional wifi AP-STA use cases and installations.
In open air, you can expect ~50m of normal coverage (assuming that you don't have a directional antenna). Maybe double that if you don't have many neighboring wifi devices (for example, out in the country).

Are you telling us that your WN7200ND usb wifi adapter is geting >20Mbps at 500-600m from the AP when connected to your laptop???

That's correct, my antenna is directional. This specific access point I'm connected to is giving me 30 megabits.

You may go and ask those people about the exact software versions being used.

Anyway, you may monitor the CPU usage of the WR842. In all cases using the USB requires some additional drivers which may impact the performance. If it was Ethernet it could be just fine with no additional drivers/CPU load. For example for 2.4Ghz - Ubiquiti Bullet M2 should be better in your case, and it's outdoor. If you are going to use it indoors - you may go with some cheap 802.11n router with one antenna + an Ethernet cable, if you are not able to resolve the USB speed issue.

1 Like

no, still 1x1 radio,siso. better a 2x2 radio.

No point if you have a 1-port directional antenna. A dual-polarized antenna will be also required at both ends for a reasonable performance.