Lots of GLi.net travel routers on sale (refurb) on amazon

I think some of these natively support owrt. Have at em.

1 Like

The one worth buying, IMHO, was the MT1300, and it's been sold out for a cpl of hours already.

Noted, but some of those for $9-15 might be worth playing around with.

Sure, as long as people don't buy the SFT1200 ,)

What's the deal with that model?

No upstream support, also I think GL has abandoned it as well (no update).

Slate will be the next one, but I already own MT1300 (and waiting for MT3000 to arrive) so I don't need this anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn't pass on the ~$30 GL-MT1300 refurb earlier this week. Lot of travel router for the money. It sure didn't last long after price was further dropped to ~$20!

It came with OEM firmware from 2021 based on stable 19.07 installed on it that wouldn't accept a 23.05 sysupgrade from the GUI, but updating it to the latest OEM firmware based on 22.03 solved that and its now running OpenWrt 23.05 stable.

1 Like

So with 23.02 does it still have the GLi.net front end or is it vanilla owrt now?

No GLi.net front end. It's vanilla OpenWrt with LuCI now.

I ended up grabbing the mango and a slate. $25 out the door. Both already arrived. The mango is about what you'd expect for $9, single band 2.4 sort of kills it's chances to be a good travel router but it's not bad. I'm very impressed with the slate. I may return my Beryl AX and just use the slate.

Sounds like a plan. The AR-750S Slate won't win many speed contests, but I bet it's fast enough to perform just fine as a travel router for years. By which time the Beryl AX may be on sale for $25. The Mango at any price lost me at single radio, but I suppose it could be a fun toy for $9.

2024-02-19_08-34
2024-02-19_08-37

Slate routing speed (top) vs Wireguard speed (bottom). Is it worth me keeping the Beryl AX for 5 times the cost just for better wireguard speed?

Do need higher WG speeds ?
I wouldn't keep it, 55/40 is pretty bad, imho.

In most cases, WG won't be your bottleneck, it will be crappy coffee shop/hotel/vacation speeds. I also can't think of a reason I need faster than 50/50 to connect to my home devices. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

I agree, at a hotel it won't be an issue, but if you stay at some Airbnb or VRBO, etc, the internet access could be a lot faster.

Possible to help me running the Wireguard test according to this and report the result? From the numbers Beryl AX can be probably 6-7 times faster than Slate in Wireguard.

Doesn't want to run on my slate for some reason, Ran fine from my Beryl AX last week

iperf3: error - unable to connect to server: Connection refused

I remember when I am running the test on some low resource routers this might come up occasionally, sometimes I have to reboot and do the test.

Currently setting up the GL-A1300 Slate Plus I bought a few weeks ago. Looks pretty neat so far!