Loopback to a second router

Good afternoon all,

I'm super new to OpenWrt, actually I got my new router this weekend.

On my set up I have a webserver running on a Synology NAS. It looks like I have a loopback issue. From the picture below, when I try to connect to the NAS by using DNS address from the PC1 connected to the unmanaged switch it work perfect, but is does not work when connected to the wifi router.

I understand that setting the RAX80 router on AP mode may solve the problem (I only use the RAX80 for wifi connections), but I would lose features that I would like to keep if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help

If it is routing, that is very likely your problem. The device doesn’t appear to be supported by Openwrt, so we cannot help you with specifics on it, but bottom line is that it needs to be purely a WiFi ap, no routing or other features.

hi psherman, thank you for you reply, I think I am missing something on openWRT, I changed the RAX80 to AP mode and still didn't work.

Then, I tested connecting from different ports on the openWRT router, and it works, I'm not sure what happened, but I would love to learn why it now works. I attached below my new configuration that is working.

Still other devices connected to the unmanaged switch, can not access the NAS by DNS

the traffic isn't touched by the router, assuming your openwrt device is set up correctly.

as for the NAS and DNS, you need to be more specific, and make sure your client devices actually use your DNS, when they try to resolve the DNS name (unless it's public, then you might run into other issues).

Hi frollic, thanks for your reply, the DNS name is public, please see below an updated image showing it.

As I mentioned with the current configuration PC1 and PC2 are working fine and I can access the NAS from the public domain with not issues, but with PC3 connected to the unmanaged switch I can only connect to the NAS through the IP address and not from the public domain

you're repeating the same info (or actually non-info).

"it doesn't work" won't get you far here.

define public domain.

does it work if PC3 is moved to the RAX ?

what does nslookup return when you query the domain, on each of those PCs ?
(when PC3 is connected as in your picture)

I'm sorry, I am very new on this, so not sure what do you mean, I said public domain, basically because is what I understood you meant from your last comment.

I have a domain that I bought on Cloudflare (www.nas.com from my picture), which points to my private IP. From there, I forward the ports needed on the OpenWRT router to the NAS. This way, when I connect from anywhere on the internet to www.nas.com, I can access the NAS front page.

When I connect PC3 to the RAX it work perfectly

When connected as my picture, and run the nslookup I get the same info in the 3 PC, please see below.

Again, sorry if I am missing anything I am new and looking forward to learn,

I hope there's some kind of protection in front of that page, and I don't mean a logon window.

But since you're running FriedlyWrt, we can't help you, it's a black box for us.
You'll need to ask them, or install Openwrt, if your device is supported, that is.

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

Hi frollic, I understand this is this firmware is not from the official OpenWrt project, and unfortunately my device is still not supported at this time.

but as you mentioned in your last sentence, I think this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt, and I definitely think it can help our OpenWrt community.

then I think you should prove it 1st, by reproducing it on proper Openwrt .... no, wait.

in what way ?

you are 100% right, sorry if I don't fully understand the differences from FriendlyWrt and the official Openwrt, I know the first one if based on the second. I have been following OpenWrt guides and support doc and everything has been working fine so far.

I will do my best to get a cheap Openwrt router to replicate the issue and get back to you to continue troubleshooting and learning if that works for you.

I know this is a common issue with synology users and routers with not loopback support. I do know OpenWrt has a loopback and is working on my current configuration. I was just wondering why it works only when the NAS and the PCs are not connected to the same ethernet port on the OpenWrt/FriendlyWrt.

I think this is an issue that other NAS users may have, especially because most of us who use Synology are not experts.

Again, thank you so much for your time.