Looking for two APs

I'm looking to replace two of my (very) old routers i'm currently using as access points.
To be future-proof i would expect 2.4 & 5 ghz and gigabit lan.
One can be a pure access point, meaning no additional lan/wan ports but the other needs
3 to 4 lan ports. Technically i wouldn't need wan ports but i guess they're always included anyways.
(And of course it should have the usual 16mb/128mb at least)
I did some search and found this tp link for a reasonable price but the wiki says it has some problems with 5Ghz. I guess i could speculate on it being fixed eventually but i feel like i should ask some experts.

Any way, i'm thankful for any suggestions.

If you are using the devices as "dump" APs, so to speak, do you acutally need them to be running OpenWrt? There is nothing wrong with that, of course, but it could limit your options with selecting a supported device.

That's not very future proof--for that you would probably want 802.11ax (WiFi 6), but then you would probably be limiting your choices and playing a lot more for devices you aren't going to make the most of until you change your cling devices (at which time the value of your APs have dropped), so you could just ignore 802.11ax for now, and get cheaper devices for the next 1 or 2 years, then you can upgrade again once the technology has natured and you have supported client devices.

1 Like

Tbh, i'm not too versed in current wifi technology, i just meant that i don't want 2.4ghz only devices.
W/R/T dump APs: i don't know what those provide these days but i'm def. gonna use some openwrt API stuff like associated devices, maybe some ubus stuff, etc. Also i'm a big fan of free and open source software.