Looking for "best overall" OpenWrt router with a USB port (2023)

Verizon cr1000a is probably the best router right now for those who could buy it and not afraid of serial and custom builds

10G*2, 2.5Gx2, MoCA, 2G,5G,6G radios, 4gb MMC, 2Gb RAM, usb-c

is it officially supported already ?
probably unbuyable anywhere but US, unless you're OK with shipping it from US.

Let me emphasize this :blush:

Have been using two AX9000s for the past 2 weeks with 23.05.0-rc2, configured as a mesh network with its 4 (!) radios on board. One used by batman, two for a 2.4 / 5G network, and one for a guest network.

Couldn't be happier. Very quick and stable. And you throw everything you want at it - stubby, strongswan, DAWN, ddns, wireguard, batman.... it just handles them with grace with its (in router terms) powerful CPU.

Only things on my wish list are fan control, plus hardware flow offloading (not that it is slow - for sure excessively north of 1Gbps as it is and I have not done any serious benchmarking). But I can utilize everything else and Openwrt is rock solid. So like I said, couldn't be happier.

1 Like

Banana R3. No fan needed if you you use heat sinks and drill some holes in the cover plate.

i have a BPI R3 with heatsink + fan. i only ear the fan during 5s when it boots. it only triggers if the temperature reaches a certain threshold, which it has never reached in my home...
The only problem i found with this router is the recognition of the ONT SFP, but i'm wondering if this not a general openwrt problem than a BPI R3 problem.

Because default temperature threshold is 85C and it will never reach it.
AFAIK the fan does not turn on due to a bug.

they turn on, i checked wit the commands :

echo 50000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
echo 50000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_3_temp
echo 50000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp
echo 50000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp

With these commands the fan start when the temp is >=50°c

see my post here : https://forum.banana-pi.org/t/banana-pi-r3-fan-with-pwm/14406/176?u=rooot

Yes, that was what I meant. It is a bug that the default trip points are 85 and 110 degrees celsius!
Also on my R3 there is no trip_point_3_temp and trip_point_4_temp. The fastest fan speed is through trip_point_0_temp

I 100% agree with this..

Just got mine up and running, no muss, no fuss and screaming fast....getting a full gigabit speed without a problem and the little box barely even breaks a sweat.

I wish I had full gigabit in both directions though :frowning:

I got mine from aliexpress, the 4gb version for $90~ shipped right to my door
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801644089213.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.29.5aef18023EeArA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Glad you like your new NanoPi R4S! Mine has been great hooked up to a Netgear GS308T switch for the home gateway, with a couple dumb AP's (one on each floor of home) and a few other Ethernet runs on wired back haul.

I dont know man, my AX wifi router now consumes upto 38watts at full 2.5gig traffic on it.

while my mini pc with a separate wifi 6 access point from ubiquity consumes around 34watts at same 2.5gigbit traffic.

You can try the NanoPi R4S suggested above, routing 1G no problem, flash is depending on size of your SD card, power consumption most of the time it's just 2-3W, even with more load it seldom goes beyond 5W, adding with a dedicated WiFi AP power consumption shouldn't be too high.

N5105 oh N100?????

Buying new? N100 definitely. They're about the same price on aliexpress, usually the 4x 2.5 GbE boxes are around US$150 barebones.

1 Like