Literal meaning of „listen address/port etc.“

Hello, I am a Lithuanian translator for „OpenWrt“. I had found a good result of meaning of „Masquerading“, though I seem a bit stuck, question:
Does the meaning of „listen“ and „listening“ – port, address, for peers, interfaces and more.
Roughly translate to: „Waiting for connection“ and „Awaiting connection (listening *(literal sense) and ready to receive)“?
Seems like other languages just translated these as „hearing port/address etc.“ (as in human sense of hearing).

I would say it does, yes.

2 Likes

In this context, "listen" means that the server process has opened and endpoint, and is waiting for a connection request from a client. "Hearing" does not seem right, as the server process is actively paying attention to the connection requests. And "wait" sounds better, but can be a bit confusing, because "listen" often implies "open + wait".

2 Likes

I agree with eduperez wait or even waiting sounds more logical.

hearing to me implies that you hear something now.
EG:
I hear the birds in the forest chirping

Listen to me implies that something is about to happen or could happen
EG:
If you wake up early in the morning and listen carefully you will hear the birds chirping at 5am

EDIT:
It seems to me that this is should already be solved for your language, You will have to look at how the big companies document this, Think cisco or tplink

2 Likes

Thanks for helping, I had sorta gotten that other translations are not of the highest quality or accuracy (In understandable languages at least)

For example, Russian just translated this as – „server address“ and Japanese as English with Katakana letters.
Or

Слушатели – Listeners, people who listen/hear.

Same with Polish:

I am about 99% done with „LuCI-base“ translations to Lithuanian, and I do think, that it might be the best translation for „OpenWrt“ in terms of grammar, accuracy and explanations (in some ways, a bit better than the source, because a direct explanation is given in the translation).

Context/semantics is one of the things that makes translations, especially using online translators, really complicated and sometimes error prone. Some translators are better than others, and there are some that actually do have ML/AI to attempt to translate with the appropriate context -- in those cases, providing an entire sentence or more may actually provide better results.

Were the previous answers sufficient for you to understand the phrases you asked about such that you can write up the translated words/phrases that are correct in the context? If not, please clarify any further questions -- we'll try to help with other analogies and/or definitions.

BTW, thanks for helping with the translation!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.