Linksys wrt3200acm 1.8ghz dual core VS Asus AC58U 717mhz quadcore

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy one of the option in the title and I dont know which one is better for handling wireguard VPN server with simultaneous user. Most usage will be transferring of files from work place to home and vise versa. Around 5 users all in all with less ping as well when gaming. Which one is better for the job?

High-end mvebu and entry level ipq4018 (with a price delta of roughly a factor of 4) don't punch at the same weight level, although each have some advantages over the other, where they can outshine their opponent.

The ASUS RT-AC58U however is a bad example for the ipq40xx SOC, as it's (too-) short on RAM (128 MB for two ath10k 802.11ac radios is not sufficient), most other ipq40xx based devices ship with at least 256 MB RAM instead.

In general, mvebu is (much) faster in terms of routing throughput (WAN speeds), coping with up to 1 GBit/s easily - while ipq40xx is less picky in terms of WLAN interoperability (mwlwifi is known to have problems with IoT devices (esp8266)) and probably better in this regard (despite being worse on paper (two rx/ tx chains compared to three).

It really depends on your requirements, the WAN speed (both now and within the immediate future (3-5 years)), what additional services you intend to use (SQM/ VPN) and your emphasis on wireless reliability.

Hi thanks for the reply and detailed explanation. I'm planning to make a server at home because i do travel a lot and needs transferring of files remotely and sometimes even working on my file at home, CAD specifically. During may leisure time, i do play lan games with my younger brother at home.

Anyway, i know there's a large gap between the 2 model but I dont know if dual core vs quad core will have a lot of difference. So does this mean I need to choose linksys wrt3200acm for those I want to accomplish?