Linksys EA8300 vs ZyXEL WSM20 PPPoE routing performance

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on setting up my new OpenWrt hardware.

I have purchased the following items for my home network:
2 x Linksys EA8300
1 x ZyXEL WSM20 (Multy M1)

I intend to use the two Linksys EA8300 in a wireless repeater configuration using WDS to extend the reach of my Wi-Fi network utilising one of the radios in these Tri-Band routers for wireless backhaul.

The ZyXEL WSM20 will be connected to the network via ethernet cable and will provide Wi-Fi access in another part of the house.

The question that I would like to ask is which device would be best suited to handling the routing in my network? Should I use one of the Linksys EA8300 or the ZyXEL WSM20 for this purpose? Will one of these offer better routing performance given my intended setup? My ISP requires PPPoE via the WAN port.

Very different platforms (ARMv7 vs mips 1004Kc), very different status of the hardware offloading question (although PPPoE is not the most painfree protocol to offload), there's no way around doing a 1:1 test.

3 Likes

Thank you for your insight @slh .

Is there any guidance for carrying out an effective 1:1 test?

The current speed provided by my ISP is 80Mbps downstream, 20Mbps upstream so I doubt that these speeds will be taxing on either router if tested, however, in the future I will likely increase my internet speed. Is there a way to test these devices to see which would be most effective for routing given that I will be increasing my internet speed in the near future?

For around 100 MBit/s this really shouldn't matter in the slightest, in that case you can go with the ea8300 without thinking about it.

1 Like

Even my super old WRT1900ACv2 can do ~700Mbps PPPoE without problem, so given your 80Mbps speed virtually any router you can purchase nowadays will have no problem.

2 Likes

ea8300 wan (vlan, pppoe), lan-wan ~ 200mbps?

Is this a statement or a question?
Please be more verbose.

A bit of both :slight_smile: lan-wan (non vlan, non pppoe) seems to be fine, around 900mbps.
fresh thought, could vlan/pppoe be affecting performance?

Tl;dr:
Yes, both VLAN and PPPoE affect the maximum data troughput.

PPPoE is quite CPU-hungry.
And it doesn't get better at higher speeds.

And VLAN: If you want to transfer data between 2 different VLAN on the same router (like, VLAN 10 for guests and VLAN 20 for your devices), it's the same as routing between different networks.
So this also takes some resources.

But even if you use both of them, i think you should get more more than 200 MBit/s.

1 Like

Did anybody by any chance ever benchmark PPPoE performance of EA8300 ?