LinkStar H68K – RK3568 dual 2.5GbE, WiFi 6

This is is awesome news! If anyone is already running it on their LinkStar H68K, it would be great to know about the experience. Thank you!

Went through the process of building from the repository, and flashed the resulting image to eMMC rather than to a TF card.

There is no frontend web interface or HDMI output, but the machine still runs and works as intended. You can connect to it using SSH and it issues DHCP. I was able to connect to the machine using root@192.168.1.1 and no password was needed. It is truly a barebones install, but you can install more packages to make it more user-friendly.

2 Likes

@BigRon I got it running and my experience is in the above post.

1 Like

@jennazhuxj Is there any chance that Seeed Studio would be willing to publicly release or open source the Erase firmware tool, and the H68K-Boot-Loader? Or if you could provide a repository link, that'd be super helpful.

3 Likes

@Caffeine-Jared thanks for sharing. This this great news and good to know. Good work to build on, much appreciated.

Since my initial install, I've rebuilt a new image with LuCI, docker, and other software included. There are still a few kinks that I need to work out when it comes to packages and performance, but I'm hoping to be able to make a finished image by the end of the week.

3 Likes

@Caffeine-Jared thanks for the update!

@Caffeine-Jared can you share your .config that you built the more comprehensive image from?

1 Like

I'm having a few issues from the image that Seeed Studio provides in the wiki to get started so I would like to also make a build of OpenWrt directly from source @jennazhuxj
Can Seeed Studio contribute the necessary files and code to OpenWrt directly?

I'm not sure what is required, but if there is something I can do from my end, please let me know.

Will adding Linkstar to the Table of Hardware be enough?

[https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/adding_to_toh](https://Add a device to the Table of Hardware)

Don't buy it... I cannot get it to work.
According to their instructions you can use it running from an SD card, or Flashing the eMMC.
Both not working for me.

When starting the preinstalled Android, the wifi is not working neither.

What you really get:
A thumb device booting Android that can't do anything.

I've downloaded the image from Seeed Studio and dd'd it onto a MicroSD which boots fine. Using the SeeedStudio OpenWRT github project I've been able to build many images of OpenWRT which I can copy onto the device and install directly on the EMMC or (more recently) install through sysupgrade command-line. It is all working really well for me and I now have about 7 docker containers for various things running and it seems rock solid. I'm using an external NVMe stick in a USB-C enclosure for most of my filesystem with just the two partitions for kernel & OS on the EMMC.

1 Like

Here's a Gist for my .config that I used to build the image I'm currently running:

For building from the Seeed Studio OpenWRT fork here:
git@github.com:Linkstar-H-series/Openwrt.git

This has lots of stuff enabled and it builds a 2GB ext4 partition for the OS to live in.

Hi @karora I am new to this, but just wondering, if you know how to build an image directly from the official OpenWRT repo rather than SeeedStudio's version? SeeedStudio's version is based on ImmortalWRT which is the variant for China users.

1 Like

Are you sure? Or do you mean the OpenWRT image that you can download is based on ImmortalWRT - that's quite different to the one that ends up getting built from the GitHub repository which did seem to me to be based on official OpenWRT, albeit not at the tip.

I did try rebasing the changes onto OpenWRT HEAD but that did not build for me, and I didn't have time to figure out why at this point.

I'd say that SeeedStudio's fork is not based on the ImmortalWrt project, those rockchip patches actually come from https://github.com/coolsnowwolf/lede and the whole source tree is a mess...

1 Like

Thanks for providing your config. Did you build their master branch? I was able to successfully build with your config, but could not get the device to power up. I had their provided image running and ran sys upgrade to flash your image. I am not sure if going from squashfs to your ext4 based image is supported but device would not power up. I then dd'd a new squashfs image to sdcard, and that didn't work either.

Guessing it's related to https://github.com/Linkstar-H-series/Openwrt/issues/2 , but I'm curious how you got your working. Did you flash emmc? if so, any tricks to doing that from linux?

I think the mtdblock devices for the emmc are visible when I run their provided image, so maybe I can dd the image to those devices? Apologies in advance as that is non-sense, I'm fairly comfortable with all of this, except the main boot process + flash layout.

EDIT - Looks like you can just write the image to mmc via. /dev/mmcblk0 which worked for me.

Right, I just dd'd my image onto /dev/mmcblk0 and then used sysupgrade to upgrade further images from that point. Their image seems to have quite a different setup, and I'm not sure if sysupgrade supports going from squashfs to ext4...

Hi,

I just bought 2 units of the LinkStar H68K with great expectations.
Unfortunately this won't work out of the box.
I tried to compile from the Git repository but it failed with many errors all the way long.
I've done intensive google research with poor results.
So here I am, begging for help.

I'd prefer to use the OpenWRT master branch rather than an unofficial image

Update:

a newer release than the one found on seedstudio.com is available:
https://github.com/Linkstar-H-series/Openwrt/releases/tag/v22.03.3

Once installed on an SD card

in System/Software/
when using "Update Lists" button
the update sources are pointing to immortalwrt

Very confusing

Thanks

1 Like

ImmortalWRT is a chinese fork from OpenWRT. I guess we do need to find a developer which wants to add this drivers / modifications to the main branch, right?

2 Likes

It's a bit more complicated than it appears.
The RK3568 SOC as an "untrusted" status which means the the H68K is officially unsupported by OpenWRT.
Moreover, it seems that a lot of packages are outdated since they were compiled.
OpenWRT don't support Rockchip
In other terms you can call your H68K a brick.

1 Like