Lede branding changed to OpenWrt. What's going on?

Chiming in with my two cents: LEDE/OpenWRT are free projects, people are volunteering their time, I say we try to be more understanding and grateful that development is still ongoing no matter what name it takes on.

2 Likes

When everything settles out, the name LEDE will be a historic note in the
documentation. It will not be used anywhere in the project.

Now, it will probably take a long time to get to that point.

(I'm not sure exactly what namespaces you are talking about)

Exactly - I fully share your view - in fact, it was more or less what I wanted to write, but you managed to dress it in a more coherent whole (before I let myself be drawn into this Nazi / Zionist debate with others).

I believe I've posted this before too - both websites need info posted prominently on their front pages.

Purely as a user (not a dev), I support the merge, as LEDE is a fork of, and de-facto the current implementation of, OpenWRT. Additionlly, OpenWRT has the name recognition - when it was time for me to update my devices, it took multiple attempts before I even discovered that LEDE existed. If you want the project to survive, and thrive, get the merge done quickly, post the news, and get the word out to the tech sites.

Anyone upset by it is a bit late to the party, but if you wish to be involved, looks like the lede-adm list is where you should start. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-November/000670.html

I have no idea why people are talking about Poland or Nazi's.

1 Like

As an ancient OpenWRT developer that hasn't been around for a while. this seems nearly identical to the DD-WRT fork except LEDE wasn't trying to run away and make a pay-for version like scum. I used to do quite a bit of backporting of the things DD-WRT went forward with (specific focus on destroying market share by cloning their "paid" features) to bring the features back to OpenWRT. Same with other mild-forks like Gargoyle or Tomato, it's OpenWRT with a new facade on it.

This stupid backflip is no different. There will always be forks unless the "management" stops being however it is they are that causes forks. But OpenWRT is the genesis of every router firmware, almost.

I prefer going back to the name that started it all, OpenWRT. I didn't know LEDE even existed until the other day, literally never heard of it. Everyone knows OpenWRT.

That being said WPN824N doesn't work correctly anymore you guys broke it compared to OpenWRT trunk... and I had a pile of fixes for OpenWRT trunk that improved it exponentially, but when applied to LEDE trunk the LED triggers don't work right and a bunch of other problems that weren't there before. So again, JUST like the DD-WRT split...

OranguTech has hit the nail on the head here; this needs to be very visible and not buried away in a forum. I got interested in LEDE because of Cake (on an Archer C7) which works very well. I was also impressed with the speed that 17.01.4 was rolled out to patch the Krack vulnerability. I keep a virtual router available on Virtual Box which I update with snapshots from time to time to see if I'm missing anything or need to update my actual routers. I updated it today and was surprised to see the OpenWRT branding, and it took a bit of digging to find this forum thread. It really shouldn't have taken any digging, it should have been on page NUMERO UNO. I really have no view on whether the change is good or not, it's entirely up to the devs, but I really don't want to panic when I see that a different image has been loaded to what I expected.

I don't see how it's similar at all. Look more into the reasons for the LEDE split and you'll see that this really wasn't a destructive fork. It was a last-resort act that actually moved things forward.

LEDE was essentially almost the whole current active developer community of OpenWRT breaking away from the control of the original project founders, who they felt were making development too difficult with their inertia and slack management of key project infrastructure. Hardly a fork at all, more like a rebellion and continuation under new management.

This is why the original OpenWRT essentially died from the moment LEDE was founded. The "re-merge" is really more like a re-brand, where the OpenWRT owners have admitted defeat and agreed to get on board and give the cherished brand to the continuing project, rather than let it die.

It's unfortunate that you were out of the loop. I don't know what caused the breakage of your WPN824N work, but it would likely have happened either way. The problem here is the fact that you had to maintain a separate "pile of fixes" in the first place. Now it should be much easier to get your work merged into the tree where it belongs.

2 Likes

It is: https://lede-project.org/

My bad. Somehow managed to bypass this. Note to self: - "Stop shooting from hip..."

To be honest: The note about the merge has been implemented only recently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaaah..... Just curious, how recent?

about four days ago: 2018/01/02
(Based on wiki changelog: https://lede-project.org/start?do=revisions )

So it really was 'my bad'; albeit by only a few days. Like Boxer said, 'I must work harder'.