LAN IPv6 address

This is probably pretty simple but how do I find the LAN IPv6 address of my router?

Network -> Interfaces -> LAN shows details that I'm looking for i.e. IPv4 address and two IPv6 addresses. However, when looking at the network settings on Mac: Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Router there is a different IPv6 address.

Not sure which is the "real" one here.

1 Like

All of them, using IPv6 it's very common that a device uses multiple IPv6 addresses at the same time:

• link local (fe80::/10)
  • ULA prefix (fc00::/7)
  • globally routable address from your ISP assigned prefix(es, can be more than one)
  • temporary addresses using IPv6 privacy extensions (multiple)

You can use either of them, all of them are 'real' (well, priv_ext addresses may not be the best choice, but OpenWrt doesn't use them itself by default anyways).

2 Likes

Let me provide some context to the problem since that may change which address to use. I have configured my router to use Pi-hole and would like to set the upstream DNS server to be the IP address of the router as per the documentation:

46c95b23878e3324e09a1a81675806f304f409e5

I have no problem defining the IPv4 upstream DNS entry. Which addresses would I define for the IPv6 entries?

GUA is often dynamic, and LLA may not reachable by all clients.
So, ULA with a static DHCPv6 lease should be the best option.

1 Like

How can I find the ULA?

ubus call dhcp ipv6leases
1 Like

Would it be the address starting with fd?

I was expecting something with an fc prefix but did not come across an address with this prefix.

fc00::/7 ranges from fc00:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000 to fdff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.