Kmod dependency issue & noob questions

I posted the gist of this on openwrt subreddit, so, if you are subbed there, you may have seen this already.
Router is Netgear R6220 and I have installed ROOter firmware (OpenWRT 18.06.1)
The router has 128MiB/128MiB, but, 60MiB of storage is a reserved partition, I had hoped I could install kmod-mtd-rw and recapture the reserved storage for use with the router.
However, I got a dependency error when I attempted to install it.

Obviously, this is a kernel issue. But, I am wondering how to resolve it. Since the kernel on my router is 4.14.63 and the error shown above involves dependency of kernel 4.14.63+git-20160214-1
What actually is signified by "4.14.63+git-20160214-1" and what makes it different than my router's kernel 4.14.63?
This is all a learning opportunity for me.
So, even if I am able to open the reserved 60mb for read and writes, I don't know if or how I could utilize it for installing packages.

the downloaded package(kmod) was compiled on a different machine and at a different time that your current kernel... how to resolve it... ask your distro maintainer where their packages are...

4 Likes

You'll need to ask Rooter about that. The 18.06.1 kernel for OpenWrt was 4.9.120

1 Like

I am curious where you found that information. I know that ROOter is Openwrt distro and their distribution repositories all point to openwrt's e.g. "src/gz openwrt_core http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.1/targets/ramips/mt7621/packages"

My wrong, my device is on different arch.

1 Like

Kernel dependencies are very strict, the tiniest change (part of the dependency is a hash over the selected kernel configs) and it no longer matches. Given that you're not running the official OpenWrt release, there's nothing you can do here - you'd need matching kernel packages from your distribution instead.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is what I had kind of figured. Its not really necessary to have that reserved 60MiB partition opened for my use, but, when I see a locked door in my house, I want to know why its locked and if that's where all "the good stuff" is being stashed.

I will probably go back to the plain vanilla openwrt at some point, but, I like to play with new toys and ROOter is probably the closest I will ever get to Australia.

Nope: ROOter is a OpenWrt-based distro.

1 Like