Kernel issue with sing-box installation

Hi colleagues,

I have built a new openwrt on "FriendlyElec NanoPi R4S". The basic utility performs normally involving most of the LuCI apps built within. The issue appeared when I tried to install sing-box and analogous software where the error report is:

root@nanopi:~/openwrt-passwall-nanopi4S-deps# opkg install sing-box
Installing sing-box (1.4.3-1) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/aarch64_generic/packages/sing-box_1.4.3-1_aarch64_generic.ipk
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel (= 5.15.133-1-3d7f84e6f183df7d8f902d2c548dd885) for kmod-inet-diag
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for kmod-inet-diag found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel (= 5.15.133-1-3d7f84e6f183df7d8f902d2c548dd885) for kmod-tun
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for kmod-tun found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for sing-box:
 * 	kernel (= 5.15.133-1-3d7f84e6f183df7d8f902d2c548dd885)

I built the openwrt on my Gentoo Workstation normally on which you know we can eselect the kernel version and update it alive, haha, please share your experience with me and give me your critical advice.

Thanks

if you build your own image, the kmods usually have come from you too ...

2 Likes

Thanks for your interpretation. I found that most of the kmod-* in Kernel modules --> Network Support has not been added in .config unless kmod-pppoe and kmod-pppox, it's my miss while I am not familiar with router and proxy support in Linux kernel, which might be a good opportunity to me.

But based on the error reports involving kmod keyword, I don't confirm how many terms would be added in .config when make -j72?

Thanks

I fail to see the connection, -j is compilation parallellism ?

Er, Yes, -j72 is compilation parallel, by which I mean the make works well in previous compilation even if invoking a large number of CPU(s). I am checking the errors reports involving kmod keyword, thanks for your direction( compile with those kmod-* sufficiently).

Hi frollic,
I found that kmod-ipt-core, kmod-ipt-ipset, kmod-nf-ipt are absent in
kernel (= 5.15.133-1-3d7f84e6f183df7d8f902d2c548dd885)
while there are no Select in kmod-*(Network Support) submenu. I am worried about the final failure of opkg install for some important software.

Let me report some new test output. sing-box can be installed now, but some other deps caused error s in same reports. I am exploring, wish your advice, or it might be fixed latter naturally?

Thanks

Fixed, Good direction introduction. You insist those kmod built together with nanopiR4S target while the manual config is necessary in my case, this procedure make me be little more familiar with the router Kernel module to support something special, Thanks!!!

Let me edit this post as a conclusion of my solution. Unlike the Gentoo Portage, the default .config of OpenWrt is rather compact to save the storage cost when building any img no matter for classic router with small mtd(s) storage or storage abundant devices like nanopi with TF card. To build a functional system, it requires 270M storage at least in my case, while some canonical .config of openwrt lead me reducing the Kernel Modules and system base in wrong direction. To fix such sort of problem in general, I think the sys-kenel/genkernel provides good analogy guidance to those migration from Gentoo like me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.