Just installed OpenWrt on my edge router x

I am trying to upgrade to the latest version but whenever I transfer the sysupgrade file it removes itself(most likely no storage). I have not touched anything else except download the os.

@Perennial - welcome to OpenWrt.

What do you mean it "removes itself"?

Can you give us details about which file you downloaded, how you are transferring it to the router (generally as well as the specific commands), and what you are doing on the router to attempt the upgrade? And what version of OpenWrt is currently running as the baseline?

1 Like

Looks like I put the directory wrong to transfer my sysupgrade file. I am having problems with my wan I have no clue how to set it up right and find out what is my wan port.

You need to provide details about what you have done to date and what files you have attempted to use. Otherwise we don't know how to help you.

1 Like

wan2 does not have a firewall zone, thus you can't forward packets to it. Why did you add wan2 instead of just using wan?

It looks like your use case is a DHCP Ethernet WAN such as a cable modem, which is already set up in a default install. You've changed a lot of things that don't need changing. For example adding a gateway to lan. This is not needed the DHCP client on wan will inherit and install that default route for you.

I would say the "fix" to the most immediately obvious problem is to put wan2 into the wan firewall zone, but you've probably changed enough other stuff that it still wouldn't route for you.

Suggest starting back to defaults, plug cable modem into the first port on the left (marked eth0 on the case) and it should just work.

2 Likes

I agree with this completely.

In the future, if you want help with your configuration, please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

I tried this it did not work. my modem would not assign a ip to my router.

This is often because the cable company has latched on to the MAC address of your previous router. Either override the MAC on the wan interface to the old one, or unplug the power from the modem and leave it powered off for at least 30 minutes to have the company reset the MAC. In a few cases you may need to call the company and have them reset the MAC in their system.

2 Likes

Thank you very much I will try it out

After using my isps restart modem feature the router was assigned an ip address thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.